IGNORED

Any thoughts on this summer's Fluke bite?

LPJR

Dedicated sharpies are almost always gonna be on the meat. Fishing the right tides, and geography when the bite is on is easy catching.  However dragging a squid and killing combo anywhere  isn't gonna get Fluke in the box. I have noticed that old spots that produced fish no longer hold fish.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

I was om Seat Tiger, out of Atlantic Highlands, on the 22nd of July. My first party boat trip in maybe 15 years. On the way out he stopped in two places on the bay with no fish caught. Then he moved to Flynns Knoll, also with very little action. Ended up fishing different parts of Romer Shoals, again with not much to show for. There were very few keepers for the day, I saw only 4, and even shorts were very few and far between. There were at least 3 other AH party boats fishing the same area. 

4 hours ago, Zipper said:

Dedicated sharpies are almost always gonna be on the meat. Fishing the right tides, and geography when the bite is on is easy catching.  However dragging a squid and killing combo anywhere  isn't gonna get Fluke in the box. I have noticed that old spots that produced fish no longer hold fish.

I remember fishing the Belford channel and having to go in to get another quart of killies because the fluke were so thick. That spot hasn't been the same in a long time.

Edited by midwestxpress

20 hours ago, Buck154 said:

As the bay heats up a lot of the bigger fish move deeper to the channels and ocean. Still can get big fish shallow but typically deeper water 50 foot or more and around structure.  There has been decent amount of keepers in the surf right now as there is more bait fish there fore them. If you fish 20' to 30' close to the beach you will catch alot of small fluke but still a chance at a keeper. 

That's my thoughts also.  The Raritan bay was always a great area, but times have changed. In the past I would never leave, from keyport to South amboy to ammo pier you would catch your limit. But in the last 8-10 years it's been different.  Yes you can still catch fluke in the bay, but almost everyone I know goes around the hook once the water warms up.  They do well shersbury rocks, sandy hook reef etc

3 hours ago, Buckeyes11 said:

^^^spot burn. Those are secrets spots!!

I know you are joking but I almost feel like not posting about anything anymore. Some ahold had a problem when I found cannon balls I posted about. The another ahold had an issue about how I cleaned them. Then he had an issue with the way I installed one single board on my deck, then he bitched about work bench I built and even prefab shed was a problem. And another idiot had a problem with spot burning when I showed a dot on the map.  Some people are so insecured they will bitch just to make themselves feel better. 

Edited by Lunatic

4 hours ago, midwestxpress said:

I remember fishing the Belford channel and having to go in to get another quart of killies because the fluke were so thick. That spot hasn't been the same in a long time.

Yep,I used to kill em there,  north drift across the channel close as I could get to the  Pier I think Sandy changed that.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

I know you are joking but I almost feel like not posting about anything anymore. Some ahold had a problem when I found cannon balls I posted about. The another ahold had an issue about how I cleaned them. Then he had an issue with the way I installed one single board on my deck, then he bitched about work bench I built and even prefab shed was a problem. And another idiot had a problem with spot burning when I showed a dot on the map.  Some people are so insecured they will bitch just to make themselves feel better. 

You have to keep posting you're a professional. Let the negative roll off your shoulder.

FB_IMG_1627756452677.jpg

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Everyone has an opinion. This is still America, I don't know for how long, do keep expressing your opinion. Some people are angry at things in their own life and try to dump it on others. Don't  get discouraged. We all sometimes ball bust on here, but we should all learn from each other.

Edited by Zipper

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

5 hours ago, Jcol6268 said:

HOT TIP for RB! I would fish as close to the ammo pier as you can. Great hot spot. If your not practically bouncing off the pier your off the fish. 

Not too close. They come out at you with guns almost blazing. Before 9/11 we fished right next to it but all that changed. 

11 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Not too close. They come out at you with guns almost blazing. Before 9/11 we fished right next to it but all that changed. 

He must a not fished there in many many moons! Fished out front till 1980 something, jeeze you had to find a little spot in between all the Head boats. You're right loon do not go inside those white buoys!!. I did one year with my son on Father's Day. Out of nowhere here come one of those pontoon boats lights (USCG) and sirens. Two men one woman on board man that woman ripped me up and down I think maybe it was a training exercise I don't know. Wrote me three or four violations. Restricted area, no sounding device, and no FCC license for my marine radio. They Sent my information to headquarters in Massachusetts some months later I got a letter in the mail from there just a warning I was on probation for 3 years if I violated fines were like $10,000 or more I forget but ain't no joke stay away from that Pier!..I complied!.. learned to work that channel hard in mid, late August, they leave the pier to migrate out to the ocean,boxed many a nice fluke north south drift up and down the bank, got my first double digit that way squid and spearing.

43 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

He must a not fished there in many many moons! Fished out front till 1980 something, jeeze you had to find a little spot in between all the Head boats. You're right loon do not go inside those white buoys!!. I did one year with my son on Father's Day. Out of nowhere here come one of those pontoon boats lights (USCG) and sirens. Two men one woman on board man that woman ripped me up and down I think maybe it was a training exercise I don't know. Wrote me three or four violations. Restricted area, no sounding device, and no FCC license for my marine radio. They Sent my information to headquarters in Massachusetts some months later I got a letter in the mail from there just a warning I was on probation for 3 years if I violated fines were like $10,000 or more I forget but ain't no joke stay away from that Pier!..I complied!.. learned to work that channel hard in mid, late August, they leave the pier to migrate out to the ocean,boxed many a nice fluke north south drift up and down the bank, got my first double digit that way squid and spearing.

They came at me over a mile from the pier. It just looked on the radar like I was  heading straight for it and that was enough. Pontoon boat with big machine gun on top. I don’t blame them and consequently I don’t press it