Can this rod be fixed?

A few years ago the butt end of the rod snapped and I brought it into the local shop to be repaired. I was so disappointed when I got it back. The butt end of the rod was replaced with this x grip but the foregrip was left as cork. I said why didn’t you replace the foregrip as well? I was told it wasn’t possible. It looked like trash so I have been fishing with the cork wrapped with electrical tape to make it look a little better. Was he just being lazy or is it really not possible to get that replaced? Attached is a photo so you can see what I’m talking about. 

1E644B21-C29A-459A-9842-A6A5A128CA37.jpeg

I would  not the cosmetics bother you but if you must have black use leather stain on the cork after you sand off the glue from the tape and it will be a better look.

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

She could probably buy three new rods for what mike would charge to rebuild that as a plain Jane 

He does great work, but definitely pricey. Zack's custom rods in Westport, MA also does great work. Unfortunately, he is getting well know for his top notch work and prices are increasing.

Just now, nmc02 said:

He does great work, but definitely pricey. Zack's custom rods in Westport, MA also does great work. Unfortunately, he is getting well know for his top notch work and prices are increasing.

They absolutely do nice work 

and if getting great thread work is someone’s thing I get the price .

but when a guy wants three hundred bucks to wrap a blank you already own as a plain rod . 
IMO it’s ridiculous . 

You can fix the cork fire grip!  Yes they normally would be fitted from the tip down when building new. However you can take the blank diameter, ream out the cork grip, then cut it in half. Fit the pieces around the blank  and glue. Then you can turn the rod on a lathe and sand it down. you may be able to see the seam though. 

if your in south Jersey buy the cork and I’ll give it a shot. The only thing I can’t see is it just the cork handle or is the cork attached to the real seat. Does it spin to lock your real in?

Edited by blackpowder

2 minutes ago, Mallard1100 said:

Easy fix to match it if I’m reading this right. Buy some  X flock grip. I just did 2 of my rods. All you need is a heat gun. Shrinks to fit. One was cork. 

D226C203-FBD4-462A-BE87-8B219FA54419.jpeg

nice job