IGNORED

Does anyone else sight in their shotgun or Muzzleloader at 50 yards?

99.9% of my shots with the Muzzy and shotgun are under 50 yards so I’ve always sighted in at 50… I’m going on an out of state hunt and going to practice out further, but does anyone else sight in at 50 or 75 yards?

Is there a benefit of sighting in at 100 if you most of your shots are 30-50 yards?

I sight my muzzy in at 150 yards.  I do know EXACTLY what my bullet does from 25-300 yards though.  All my guns are sighted in at a distance where my bullet is never higher than 2.5” at any distance closer to aiming point.  Nothing wrong with sighting in at 50 or 75 yards but you shouldnt be taking a shot farther than that unless you know what the gun does at further distances

Yes. Living in south Jersey and hunting state land most of my shots are under 100 yards. Sight my guns in at 50. Iron site muzzle loader, inline muzzle loader and slug guns. Hold an inch high at 100 but never had to take that long of a shot. Longest shot I ever took was with a 50 cal Thompson center hawken 70 yards with  90 grains of black powder using a maxi ball! Deer dropped in its tracks.

Been using this technique for nearly 30 years

SLUG GUN SIGHTING TECHNIQUE

Slug guns must be zeroed (sighted-in) at a distance where the slug will impact the target while still in the supersonic phase of its flight. Most slugs become subsonic, travelling less than 1220 feet per second, slightly beyond a muzzle distance of 50 yards, thus making 50 yards the ideal zeroing distance. Zeroing at 50 yards also cuts down, by approximately 60%, the chance of adjusting windage error into your scope setting.
A common shortcut taken by a majority of shooters is the attempt to zero their guns at 100 yards. This is a serious mistake as several significant factors come into play that will prevent an accurate zero at this distance in all cases. When zeroing a slug gun at 100 yards only, you never know how much windage is turned into your scope setting. Your gun becomes effectively sighted in for that day’s wind only, and your point of zero will be as much as 6 to 20 inches off of where it should be at 100 yards.
Zero your gun at 50 yards, 2-3/4″ high of absolute dead center on your target…no left, no right, simply 2-3/4″ high. You will then be dead-on zeroed at 100 yards because gravity will see to it. Check trajectory data for the brand of ammunition you are shooting and adjust the height of your 2-3/4″ 50 yard true zero as necessary so as to produce a dead-on gravity zero at 100 yards.
Once your gun has been zeroed at 50 yards, you should fire the weapon at a range of 100 and then again at 150 yards so that you can get a feel for how negative factors, such as wind drift, will affect your shot placement. A perfect hold at 100 yards may now produce a target impact as far as 6 to 8 inches off your point of aim, but since your gun has been precisely zeroed at 50 yards, you can be assured that this drift was caused by a windage effect. Wind has more effect than most shooters realize on the flight of a large, relatively slow moving projectile such as a slug. Learning how to compensate for differing wind velocities and angles, especially at extended distances, is a lesson that must be learned if you wish to be consistently successful hunter and shooter with a DSG.
Although DSG’s with rifled barrels perform similarly to rifles, they are not rifles and cannot be zeroed as if they were. Even the fastest slug is significantly slower than the typical rifle bullet. It is therefore extremely important to apply back-pressure to the forend of the stock with your left hand while you are shooting. Not doing so will result in the barrel of your slug gun jumping into the air off of the front rest, moving your point of aim and ruining your shot before the slug even has a chance to exit the barrel.
Let’s say you have zeroed your gun in this manner at 100 yards, adjusting into your scope setting this muzzle jump as well as windage error. While in the field you shoot at a deer at 100 yards while holding onto the forend of your gun’s stock. Your shot hits low or, most likely, misses completely. Most would tend to blame the gun or the ammunition, when in reality methodology is the real culprit. Think about it! Learn to properly set up your equipment and you can be confident in your shot when the time comes.
Here is what it takes with a DSG and Lightfield sabot ammo to shoot the “allusive 1 inch group at 100 yards”, but only if the shooter…
•    Can find a lot of sabot ammunition to match your barrel;
•    Has a good rest to shoot off of and has spent the time necessary to learn how to shoot well off of it;
•    Can find a telescope that will continue to work for more than 100 rounds.  Most slug gun shooters cannot tell when a scope has gone bad;
•    Remembers that rifles are zeroed (sighted-in) at 100 yards and then checked at 200 and 300 yards while DSG’s are zeroed at 50 yards and then checked at 100 and 150 yards;
•    Remembers to always use a range-finder prior to taking any shot longer than 100 yards;
•    Will spend the time to learn the intricacies of shooting slugs at 100 yards.  for example, a 10 mph crosswind moves a slug 5 to 6 inches at 100 yeards.  A tail wind causes the impact point of a slug to move up, and a head wind will move the impact point down.  It is evident that the slug movement of 6 to 20 inches at 100 yards is common.  To take this a step further, a 15 to 17 mph cross wind, typical of what one might encounter during a November/December deer hunt, will move a slug 9 to 12 inches at 100 yards and a full 24 inches at 150 yards

Another technique I use is the link below,  it's a tool a guide ...it's damn close when you enter your ammo and distance,  etc

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#Index:4

Edited by BHC

10 hours ago, Herd Buck said:

99.9% of my shots with the Muzzy and shotgun are under 50 yards so I’ve always sighted in at 50… I’m going on an out of state hunt and going to practice out further, but does anyone else sight in at 50 or 75 yards?

Is there a benefit of sighting in at 100 if you most of your shots are 30-50 yards?

Most of of my ML shots are 50 yards or less  and I also sight in at 50 however, I also check zero at 100 and 150 for the occasional long shot so I know where my POI  is at that distance and if a long shot presents itself I know where to aim.

Edited by bushden
grammer

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Usually at 75 with my point of impact a little high of center

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Because you said you plan to go out of state with your muzzy and/or shotgun, you first need to know at what distances you may encounter game in that state.  If it's 50 yards and under like your NJ hunts, no need to worry.  But if they tell you up to 150 yards, then you need to understand exactly where your rounds will hit at that distance.