Participation awards

Ron

3 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Well it's not a contest, just a recognition (by the site and fellow members) of content posting contributions.  Undoubtedly it keys in on people's desire to achieve, which promotes posting content, but it also keys on people's willingness to recognize an accomplishment or something that benefited/helped them.  Nothing wrong with that imo, really just comes down to perspective.  We could get rid of it all and make the site plain, but remember how many wanted their post counts and status maintained.  It does matter to many, and that's ok, it just represents time/effort they've put into the site as a member.  It also gives readers a sense of who has experience.  Just my .02

Also wanted to add the default badges were provided by the software but are customizable.  I just haven't had time to think through better achievements/recognitions and wanted to see how their implementation worked out (Ie how well thought out and accepted it would be...apparently not very well for the latter haha)

Shut yer' hole!  It is a contest and a way of life!

I didn't even know that we earned badges so initially I agreed with the OP when he said this stuff is not important. Then I looked at my profile and realized I have 10! badges and it became a little more important. Which led me to look at my reputation points and post count. I realized I have a rep to post ratio of 1.89:1. Checking other, more frequent, posters I don't see anyone even close to that ratio. Now that I consider myself "THE MOST POPULAR" NJWW member it's just about the most important thing in the world!

1 hour ago, Woodsman416 said:

I didn't even know that we earned badges so initially I agreed with the OP when he said this stuff is not important. Then I looked at my profile and realized I have 10! badges and it became a little more important. Which led me to look at my reputation points and post count. I realized I have a rep to post ratio of 1.89:1. Checking other, more frequent, posters I don't see anyone even close to that ratio. Now that I consider myself "THE MOST POPULAR" NJWW member it's just about the most important thing in the world!

I see you checked mine.  What did 7,642 posts with a 9,750 rep come out to?  Asking for a friend

Edited by Greybeard