IGNORED

Ribs on the Bronco Pro

not on the rug

Just trimmed 4 racks of spare ribs and rubbed them with a homemade rub.  I'll be putting them on the Bronco Pro tomorrow morning and eating them for lunch.  It will be my first rib smoke on the new smoker.  

Homemade rub was made from pink salt, cracked black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, dark brown sugar, finely ground dark roast coffee and some raw cacao powder.  Going to smoke over royal oak chef select briquettes and a mix of apple and pecan chunks.  Pics tomorrow...

9 minutes ago, DBuck said:

What kind of charcoal do you like to use? Looking for reviews on this from you, like how easy it is to reach and  hold the desired temp.

Lately I've been using Royal Oak Chef Select briquettes.  I order 40lb bags on Amazon.  I like Kingsford Hardwood too.  

For lump charcoal,  I like Royal Oak.  Jealous Devil and FOGO are both really good, but definitely more expensive. 

All of these products come to temp nicely and burn very evenly.

1 minute ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

I’m sure they will be good!  Haven’t ever done the coffee/cocoa thing but I’ve heard good things.

I do coffee and cocoa/cacao on pork sometimes, but not always.  I do it most of the time when I smoke beef ribs and beef short ribs.  The flavors lend themselves to smoked beef beautifully. 

2 hours ago, CJ3a said:

Why did you use pink salt?  Isn’t pink for curing? 

I think by ‘pink salt’ he referring to the new age hippy dippy Himalayan rock salt as opposed to Prague Powder.  I could be wrong though so mentioning it here to learn the error of my ways if necessary.

2 hours ago, Kype said:

himalayan pink salt is much better. i know it sounds weird about how  salt can be better then salt. just try it! you can even buy slabs of it to cook on. 

I tend to keep a variety of salts in the house.   Have some Celtic, some Himalayan Pink, some flaked sea salt (instead of kosher salt) and some Hawaiian black.  

22 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I tend to keep a variety of salts in the house.   Have some Celtic, some Himalayan Pink, some flaked sea salt (instead of kosher salt) and some Hawaiian black.  

I am the salt in my house.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

31 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Ok master chef Emeril Lagasse.

image.png.a8c8e70da4dc6303068317f100bc449d.png

Edited by LPJR