IGNORED

My First Smoke!!!

BHC

1 hour ago, Kype said:

dont rely on just temp. see the way it looks and feel. but its hard to mess up a pork shoulder or butt. 

for temp a good rule of thumb is 180 for slicing or 200 for pulled pork. let it rest. itll come out good. 

I’m more on the 195°F side of things with pork and brisket.  5°F doesn’t make much of a difference, but if I set it to 195°F and I am in the middle of something else, I still have a little bit of time before 205°F.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

12 hours ago, BHC said:

From all I read and videos I watched they all said the same....225*/230* 2 hrs per pound, the shoulder is just shy of 12 lbs., or internal temp of 195*/205*

12 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

With smoking and slow cooking, you never know until it's done.

I think it's always more about temp than time... but just in my experience,  a 12lb butt should cook in about 12-14hrs at 225.  The temp should be where you want it, but another important sign is that you should be able to grab the bone and slide it right out.  If you can't do that,  it isn't done yet

16 hours ago, BHC said:

I'm about to put a pork shoulder on the smoker, 225* it should be 2 hours per pound or internal temp of 195*/205*, its just under 12 lbs .....doing a typical Puerto Rican recipe,  injected it with what you see in the picture will spray it with the same, also added recaito  for dry rub using yellow mustard as a binder, Adobe, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder,  onion powder

20210723_150542.jpg

That Goya mojo stuff is great! I use the same when cooking a pork shoulder/butt on my slow cooker

16 hours ago, BHC said:

I'm about to put a pork shoulder on the smoker, 225* it should be 2 hours per pound or internal temp of 195*/205*, its just under 12 lbs .....doing a typical Puerto Rican recipe,  injected it with what you see in the picture will spray it with the same, also added recaito  for dry rub using yellow mustard as a binder, Adobe, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder,  onion powder

20210723_150542.jpg

ONCE, long ago the wifey tried to feed me smoke tofu. Tragically the marriage has lasted but I still remain smoking scarred. Better luck with your adventure.  

Wrap or not to wrap?

This pork shoulder is for pull pork, at this time internal temperature is 170*, I read that wrapping will cut cooking time down, retain moisture (I did inject it prior to putting it on the grill) but with the retained moisture the bark that's typical won't be there....what do you the experience smokers say/do?

15 minutes ago, BHC said:

Wrap or not to wrap?

This pork shoulder is for pull pork, at this time internal temperature is 170*, I read that wrapping will cut cooking time down, retain moisture (I did inject it prior to putting it on the grill) but with the retained moisture the bark that's typical won't be there....what do you the experience smokers say/do?

I always wrap around 165 -170. The bark you produced will still be there. My magic finish temp is 203 & let rest for a minimum of 1 hour (but better with longer rest time).