IGNORED

Question for Muzzleloading Experts

I do not see why you could not use them, cci magnum  primer are hot and should work  very well in ML.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

The magnum primers can be used but shooting the gun will tell if accuracy is the same.  Some accuracy experts claim the magnum primer actually moves the pellets and bullet out of its seat at initial contact deteriorating accuracy stemming from a hotter temp and increased pressure.  I shoot 120gr of loose 777 powder pushing a 300gr barnes bullet using magnum primers.  My gun actually “prefered” them having a true 300 yard muzzleloader (after LOTS of experimentation)

53 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

The magnum primers can be used but shooting the gun will tell if accuracy is the same.  Some accuracy experts claim the magnum primer actually moves the pellets and bullet out of its seat at initial contact deteriorating accuracy stemming from a hotter temp and increased pressure.  I shoot 120gr of loose 777 powder pushing a 300gr barnes bullet using magnum primers.  My gun actually “prefered” them having a true 300 yard muzzleloader (after LOTS of experimentation)

I can see this happening if you don't seat the bullet and jacket tightly on top of the charge.  If you do have it seated properly, the gas from the primer will go through the holes in the pellets and around the pellets.  The same would occur with powder too because that would be compressed tightly by the bullet and jacket.  You may actually get a more uniform burn from a magnum primer using pellets than you would without.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Lots of opinions on this.....I tried shooting magnum primers with BH209 and an EZ load bullet and had misfires. I am not sure if it was the loose bullet or "blow back" from the magnum primer. I switched to a medium hot primer (winchester) and used a tighter fitting bullet and it corrected the problem. Best bet is to try it and see if you have any problems. Note: the primers labeled as muzzleloading or 777 primers are the least hot primers on the market, as pellets ignite at a lower temp than loose powder.

On another topic, why switch from BH209?? 

42 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Lots of opinions on this.....I tried shooting magnum primers with BH209 and an EZ load bullet and had misfires. I am not sure if it was the loose bullet or "blow back" from the magnum primer. I switched to a medium hot primer (winchester) and used a tighter fitting bullet and it corrected the problem. Best bet is to try it and see if you have any problems. Note: the primers labeled as muzzleloading or 777 primers are the least hot primers on the market, as pellets ignite at a lower temp than loose powder.

Most misfires using bh209 is caused by using the wrong nipple.  Most muzzy companies have bh209 specific breech plugs.  Bh209 is an awesome powder but needs proper ignition to set off reliably.

2 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

That was my concern. Moving the pellets/load.

53 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Been using pellets since day one. Hard to switch to loose powder. Less convenient. My shots are not far. Accuracy is not an issue.

47 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Most misfires using bh209 is caused by using the wrong nipple.  Most muzzy companies have bh209 specific breech plugs.  Bh209 is an awesome powder but needs proper ignition to set off reliably.

I believe you also shoot a knight, their nipple is not BH specific. I had several misfires until I switched from the TEZ barnes to TMZ barnes (tighter fitting) & went with a less hot (non-magnum) primer per the suggestion of knight. NO problems after switching it up. I love BH209. 

That was my concern. Moving the pellets/load.
When you don't care about accuracy, why would you comment?
Since I switched to the centerfire rifle primers, It was recommended to use rifle primers, non magnum.
The only BH209 or pellet misfires I had was when my muzzy nipple was dirty.
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BCsaw said:

When you don't care about accuracy, why would you comment?
Since I switched to the centerfire rifle primers, It was recommended to use rifle primers, non magnum.
The only BH209 or pellet misfires I had was when my muzzy nipple was dirty.
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

What I meant was that accuracy was fine with pellets out to ranges needed. Accuracy is always important.

I probably would have stayed using pellets, IF I could  consistently get accuracy and I could shoot more than 2 or 3 shots without cleaning my barrel. I love BH for the reason, literally can shoot 25 shots without cleaning in between and I had far better accuracy, CONSISTENTLY. Though, many of my buddies NEVER had problems w pellets. Good luck this season 👍.