IGNORED

Acorns and Fawn Recruitment

Rusty

1 hour ago, electric10162 said:

Last year winter was the first time I had deer browsing in my immediate front yard.  My only food plot was covered in ice/snow for a good portion of January and February.  I wish I knew why there are no twins or triplets around this year.

Last year after pouring over summer and early fall trail cam photos, we were convinced we had very poor fawn recruitment. Once the leaves fell and archery opened, we began seeing multiple does with twin fawns. I would have sworn weeks earlier there wouldn’t be even a single doe with more than one fawn.  

Edited by Bucksnbows
“fawn” not “dawn”

35 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I remember reading articles stating that does in distress during pregnancy will abort fetus(s) hence a single rather than twins or triplets.

I’m sure that’s true, but the lack of acorns doesn’t necessarily translate to distress and malnutrition I believe. 
 That’s what I’m talking about, I haven't seen any evidence of that, but it could exist, that’s why I asked. 

1 hour ago, Pathman said:

I’m sure that’s true, but the lack of acorns doesn’t necessarily translate to distress and malnutrition I believe. 
 That’s what I’m talking about, I haven't seen any evidence of that, but it could exist, that’s why I asked. 

I agree. Where I hunt in zone 6, we have no agriculture nearby and our forests are oak/hickory with not much else, so acorns are a food staple most years. But we have all seen failed mast years like last year without a significant fall off in deer herds the next year or two.  That is due to availability of browse. Now, areas like Jockey Hollow that have too many deer might not fare as well in a bad mast crop year since they’ve long ago over browsed that forest.  

Not to get down in the weeds, but it’s good we didn’t have a rough winter after a failed acorn year or we might have seen more bucks die off. Acorns give them the fat reserves they need for the rut, and our rut can go three or four months in places with dense populations which quickly depletes those fat reserves. I happen to hunt in a lower density zone (17-19/sq. mi.).