Acorns and Fawn Recruitment

Rusty

Last year’s acorn crop failure had a huge impact on squirrels, chipmunks, and a variety of other critters.  Could it also have impacted the number of fawns that we have this year?  

1.  How important are acorns where you hunt?

2.  What kind of fawn numbers are you seeing this year?   

Here in zones 3 and 6 it is mostly continuous mature forest, acorns  are very important.   Fawn numbers are noticeably down this year.   

Edited by Rusty

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Last year’s acorn crop failure had a huge impact on squirrels, chipmunks, and a variety of other critters.  Could it also have impacted the number of fawns that we have this year?  

1.  How important are acorns where you hunt?

2.  What kind of fawn numbers are you seeing this year?   

Here in zones 3 and 6 it is mostly continuous mature forest, acorns  are very important.   Fawn numbers are noticeably down this year.   

And that is actually bad for the herd.  When @LPJR and I were in NH last year, it was two years after they had a huge amount of snowfall in the early fall (50" of snow in November alone) which caused a big fawn mortality rate.  The result was even less deer sign that season.  All of the two-year-old deer were in short supply, which had an overall affect on the herd.

I think it's a micro-habitat issue.  Down in Allamuchy - Green area, corn stands in the fields into and through winter so there is sufficient food.  that late, deep snow did have them eating landscaping species, but that was for a relatively short time.  

So acorns are not that important right where I hunt and I am seeing a good amount of fawns.

Zones 12/14 virtually no mast crop last season, deer numbers were average. 
It’s a bit too early i feel to determine fawn numbers for guys, most aren’t out in the woods yet, don’t have cams out, and in areas other then the understory devoid north country of NJ, the areas down Somerset/Hunterdon/Mercer are so thick with vegetation we don’t see half of the deer activity that exists. 

In my development however, there is a resident herd of ~20 does, I’ve been seeing 6-8 fawns with regularity in the ball field. 

Geography absolute plays a part. A mainstay for deer as a major food source in northern New Jersey Sussex Warren Morris.Not a lot of nut trees in my area Clinton, Clinton township Readington . Lots and lots of deer, lots of trans planted city folks, feed them well planting their flower gardens.lol

42 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

All single fawns this year. Not one set of twins. 

Me too.  I've got 3 herds that I watch on a daily basis; one has 4 does and only 1 fawn, one has 3 does and only 1 fawn, and one has 4 does and 2 fawns.  That's 11 does and only 4 fawns.