IGNORED

Anyone out there have a Husky

OldMenRule

Entertaining the idea of getting a rescue but thought I'd ask if any members have experience with them. I heard much about the breed but one persistent comment is that they are difficult to train.    

Edited by OldMenRule

Do you plan on running it for at least an hour each day?  Do you have a 8ft fence around your property?  Do you live in Alaska?  If the answer to all 3 isn't yes, I'd find another breed.  

The 2 worst breeds I see on an almost daily basis are huskies and golden retrievers.  Way too much energy, hate to be left indoors, total escape artists (from crates and fenced-in yards), relatively aloof in terms of being around people.  I always advise against the average person owning them

Do you plan on running it for at least an hour each day?  Do you have a 8ft fence around your property?  Do you live in Alaska?  If the answer to all 3 isn't yes, I'd find another breed.  
The 2 worst breeds I see on an almost daily basis are huskies and golden retrievers.  Way too much energy, hate to be left indoors, total escape artists (from crates and fenced-in yards), relatively aloof in terms of being around people.  I always advise against the average person owning them
Really? Goldens? They are the easiest imo.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Really? Goldens? They are the easiest imo.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yeah.  There are some fantastic Goldens out there, but most are from terrible lines and lousy breeders.  Nobody wants to exercise them enough and nobody wants to train them.  Many folks keep them in crates all day while they're at work and lead too busy a life to actually own such a high energy dog.  It's sad actually.  

53 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I've heard they have a lot of energy. Funny you should mention a fence. The shelter we were thinking of using insists that those looking to take in a Husky have a fenced in area. Maybe a Bulldog, lots of snots but low energy.   

It's only been a few weeks since my neighbor got a 9 week old golden retriever.  Already stays, comes, sits and doesn't jump.  He'll run to me and sit or lay down in front of me.  Well behaved, pays no attention to my dogs barking at it and doesn't bark. Usually see him just laying next to my neighbor when she is sitting outside.  Doesn't go out of the yard unless he's told it's ok to come see me.  Never seen a pup that well behaved.  My cousin also had one and it was very smart and laid back.  Just had a hard time to get it to come out of the lake.  It loved to swim.  Good and bad in any breed.  Mutts have been my best dogs.  

First dog I had was a malamute.  That was a big mistake.

Edited by Greybeard

I had a Alaskan malamute in my teenage years.

he was an awesome dog great family dog great protector. He always went room to room throughout the night making sure everyone was ok.

he did escape the yard several times and sometimes for days at a time. From me over hearing my dad he killed a few chickens and caused a mess on a farm once which my dad had to pay for.

but he was very loyal abd protective you could not walk-in my house without approval from my old man or the wolf would eat you. And there was no rough housing with us kids or the wolf would eat my dad.  Great dog 

I wanted one and was talked out of it by a breeder...of Huskies!!!
Have a fenced in yard and everything. Said the dogs have zero loyalty. Once an opportunity presents it'self to run, it will run. Told me about the shedding and barking. I was disappointed, but respected his opinion. I was young at the time and work schedule was crazy. All these years later, I still think What If? However, I have known several people who have owned them and have not had any good experiences among them.