IGNORED

Red oaks vs White oaks this year

Rusty

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

There is are several types of fungus that have been killing a number of different species of trees, it's not good.  Jack lost a bunch of red oaks to it.  

I have been battling fungus on several plants in the past few years.  I was growing grapes but pulled them out because they were being decimated by a fungus.  Lost a rose bush my mother gave me last year to two kinds of fungus.  My raspberries are having some issues with fungus, but they are resilient to some extent.  All of this rain and of course the very humid NJ nights are excellent conditions for fungus.  I suspect we will be seeing more of it and need to come up with improve management techniques.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

31 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Nice!   They must not have gotten the frost that we got up here.  

That wasn’t just a frost last year on May 14, we got an inch or more of snow and ice and temps fell into the 20s along with high winds. That’s what did in our oaks last year. 

Good to know!  Find that one white oak that’s just pouring acorns and setup lol.  My old man taught me when I was a greenhorn go out hunting find some trails find bedding find food and setup and be patient.  Thought he was nuts then the first day after 3hours here comes a fat doe lol.