IGNORED

Red oaks vs White oaks this year

Rusty

We are likely to see a good crop of white oak acorns this year but not reds.  If that is the case then corn piles will be less effective early in the season but will be very productive after the rut.

White oak acorns develop in one year but it takes two years for reds, so last year's killing frost will affect this year's red oak crop.  I've taking down a few red oaks for people this summer and have yet to see an acorn on one of them.  The insane amount of oak pollen we saw this spring should produce a good crop of white oak acorns this year and a good crop of reds next year.

White oak acorns germinate soon after they fall and they are less acidic than reds, so they tend to be cleaned up quickly by the deer and those that aren't eaten germinate, so they are not available later in the season.  Red oak acorns on the other hand don't germinate until spring and they are more acidic than whites so they are typically eaten later in the winter, after the whites are no longer available.  

The moral of the story, September - October find the white oaks.  After the rut baiting will be more effective. 

Rusty I don’t have a lot of oaks on one farm I hunt but the handful of reds that are there look pretty beat up . Leave tips are brown and many holes in the leaves . Haven’t noticed any acorns on them either . I’m assuming some kind of insect damage . 

9 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Rusty I don’t have a lot of oaks on one farm I hunt but the handful of reds that are there look pretty beat up . Leave tips are brown and many holes in the leaves . Haven’t noticed any acorns on them either . I’m assuming some kind of insect damage . 

There is are several types of fungus that have been killing a number of different species of trees, it's not good.  Jack lost a bunch of red oaks to it.  

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

There is are several types of fungus that have been killing a number of different species of trees, it's not good.  Jack lost a bunch of red oaks to it.  

Been happening a while.☹️

https://amp.northjersey.com/amp/92934060

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Well that sucks . Between fungus , ash bore beetles , lantern flys our trees are really under attack .  Is there anything we can do to combat this problem ? 

13 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Well that sucks . Between fungus , ash bore beetles , lantern flys our trees are really under attack .  Is there anything we can do to combat this problem ? 

This site helps identify the specific problem and how to deal with it.  

https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=B1286&title=Key to Diseases of Oaks in the Landscape

16 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Nope!!!..Too late. Never heard of all this stuff as a kid growing up. Until the Asian invasion shipping to America. Japanese beetles.One example they brought the zebra mussels into the Hudson River. The swine flu etc I can go on and on. Thanks Walmart 🖕

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

18 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

A new invasive that is not as visible as the others but is wreaking havoc on our forests is a new species of Asian Jumping Worm.  We've had several species of these worms here for many years but this new species is much more destructive.

Ran up to Sparta yesterday to put down more minerals and some blocks. Had a large red oak down across the woods road from a recent thunderstorm and it was loaded, but with next year’s crop. Hopefully what precious few whites we have drop this year.  Doesn’t look like the reds will until 2022. But we have a lot of chestnut oaks which are in the white oak family, and they may be our savior this fall. Time will tell…