IGNORED

2nd coyote incident in Randolph

Just heard a second coyote incident within 2 weeks in Randolph township. Last time 2 people were attacked and a coyote was captured by F&W. Not sure about the details on today’s incident!

on another note had a bear walk through my yard in the middle of the day. Looked like a 200lbs bear while my 6year old was also in the yard…

The state needs to find a way to start controlling the increased population of coyote's.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I live in Randolph. According to the town and PBA 403, a coyote attacked a person walking in one of the parks this afternoon. Haven’t seen the details yet.  You are right; this is second incident. Last one bit 2 people and was rabid. As an aside, I hunt one of the parks in town and have seen a spike in coyotes on camera the last 2 years.

Just now, Mixbaghunter said:

I saw a big one over 10 years ago by old k mart. They are all over black river . Need to start shooting on sites. 

Yeah, the folks who manage the deer hunt in town gave me the ok to shoot them on-site. Unfortunately, I see them on camera and not so much when I’m in my stand. 

11 minutes ago, jumpthestring said:

The state needs to put a bounty on yotes. otherwise most people don't want to be bother with them.

Three years ago, I sent in a "coyote sighting report" when I first realized my buddy's property was home to a pack. When I emailed the DFW and asked about the possibility of the state allowing for a year-round season for coyote, I was told that there is "insufficient evidence to warrant a season extension." I was told that "Hunters report harvesting less than 100 animals annually."

That's why I say even if you don't bother hunting them, report them if you see them (see link at the top here: https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm) Even if it's just one report a season - just fill it out once and say something like "there's a pack of yotes here that I hear or see every time I hunt here" (which was true with me when I sent in my report). I'm pretty confident in saying that the vast majority of people just on these forums alone have seen coyotes while out hunting. You can report these sightings to the state. I assume if the number of sightings go up and from a wide area of the state, we might get some changes. But without any convincing data saying the yote population is out of control, no way the state will give us a longer season let alone a bounty.

Should be a year round open season on them.  I don't hunt yotes but gotta imagine it would be a lot easier shooting a 1st year yote.  Once mom kicks them out they aren't educated to hunters yet.  I have run into them twice in the last 2 years while checking cameras during the summer.  

11 hours ago, Swamprat said:

Should be a year round open season on them.  I don't hunt yotes but gotta imagine it would be a lot easier shooting a 1st year yote.  Once mom kicks them out they aren't educated to hunters yet.  I have run into them twice in the last 2 years while checking cameras during the summer.  

I jumped this guy at 15 yds last week on a cam check. He stopped at about 35 yds for a pic. Was pretty big too. Son of a bit**  has showed on my cam twice. He’s got a muzzy with his name on it if I see him during deer season

163D694E-49A7-4B7B-98CF-4A12FF3E3AAF.jpeg

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

52 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

I jumped this guy at 15 yds last week on a cam check. He stopped at about 35 yds for a pic. Was pretty big too. Son of a bit**  has showed on my cam twice. He’s got a muzzy with his name on it if I see him during deer season

163D694E-49A7-4B7B-98CF-4A12FF3E3AAF.jpeg

#4 buckshot would look good on him.  

All too often I hear the comment from guys who say “ I’m not gonna ruin a deer or turkey hunt just to shoot a coyote” my answer is usually along the lines of “if you really care about the animals you’re hunting, you would kill that yote”. Too many hunters want the state, trappers or “someone else” to handle them. If everyone who “saw one while hunting the other day” actually shot, we’d have far fewer. 

• 2 weeks later...