IGNORED

Tree Step Installation methods?

2 minutes ago, splitrockoutdoors said:

Thinking about using some Ameristep tree steps to get up to a hang on.  I see that there used to be a drill bit attachment available cant seem to find one to purchase.  any tips or reccomendations?  look like a real pain to get 20-30 feet up by hand

They still have them,  not hard to make with an old socket.  But sticks such as the helium are so much easier and faster add an aider to 2 sections and your set for 25 ft

6 minutes ago, splitrockoutdoors said:

yup the bark bite drill bit is the one i saw.  out of stock online everywhere i looked.  Guess the hand turning model would be best choice

Make one with an old socket.  Impact socket works best

Its really not a pain at all to get up 20-30' with just the step.  Use a linemen belt and you will be set up in no time.  Dont rush into it, plan your route up, think about step spacing, and orientation to your stand. 

Edited by Scotty155

1 minute ago, nmc02 said:

We all have opinions....stay away from screw in tree steps. Use a ladder stick. Make sure you have a lifeline.  

In my opinion, screw in tree steps are like blockbuster video. 

I think they still serve a purpose at least for me I carry 2 or 3 to use as a spacer for sticks but once my aiders come in I think they will be history