NJ waterfowl stamp price increase this year

6 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Hooray! Not only is our goose limit cut in half this year... but now we get the privilege of paying double for our NJ waterfowl stamps. :whatever:

US Fish & Wildlife sets migratory bird seasons, not the state.  But I get where you're coming from.  

9 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

US Fish & Wildlife sets migratory bird seasons, not the state.  But I get where you're coming from.  

Yes. You would think the state would go, "Since the feds are cutting our hunters' goose season (effectively eliminating it - I mean, who's going out for a single bird?), not to mention mallards are still down at 2 (1 hen), how about we NOT raise the price on our hunters at the same time?" Nope. Instead it was, "Let's squeeze an extra $5 out of everyone's pockets this year."

It isn't a lot - but it's the principal of the thing.

24 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Yes. You would think the state would go, "Since the feds are cutting our hunters' goose season (effectively eliminating it - I mean, who's going out for a single bird?), not to mention mallards are still down at 2 (1 hen), how about we NOT raise the price on our hunters at the same time?" Nope. Instead it was, "Let's squeeze an extra $5 out of everyone's pockets this year."

Prices going up by 100% is always a big deal but the timing could not be worse. 
i got a letter from feds to help them with data collections. They want wings and tail feathers. I reply there is no chance I can help you with one goose limit unless you come down and do my set up for one single goose 

Edited by Lunatic

23 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Get your 10 dollars worth hunting in September for resident geese.  But I get it I buy all my stamps every year I hunted waterfowl 2 days last year

Edited by vdep217

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Get your 10 dollars worth hunting in September for resident geese.  But I get it I buy all my stamps every year I hunted waterfowl 2 days last year

Not an option for me, no geese to hunt in my area in September, anyway that’s deer season for me. December and January is a nice break from deer hunting 

I'm still going to buy it - and I'm probably still going to be one of the morons going out for a single-bird. I found out recently that the two neighboring farm fields that I've hunted (very successfully) the past several years are under contract to be sold and most likely that deal will close one year from now. So this is probably my last year on these fields that consistently get flooded with migratory birds every year. I also harvested a turkey there the last two spring seasons.. so there goes that, too.

Just sucks with all this going on (losing more farms in our area, bag limits shrinking) that now I find out the state is raising prices, too.

There's going to be a very nice, close-to-new, layout blind going up on the classifieds very soon :goodbye:

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

I'm still going to buy it - and I'm probably still going to be one of the morons going out for a single-bird. I found out recently that the two neighboring farm fields that I've hunted (very successfully) the past several years are under contract to be sold and most likely that deal will close one year from now. So this is probably my last year on these fields that consistently get flooded with migratory birds every year. I also harvested a turkey there the last two spring seasons.. so there goes that, too.

Just sucks with all this going on (losing more farms in our area, bag limits shrinking) that now I find out the state is raising prices, too.

There's going to be a very nice, close-to-new, layout blind going up on the classifieds very soon :goodbye:

I hear ya.  Use the layout on the islands of the bay

Guess I’m going to have the unpopular opinion. 

It’s about dang time!  $10 for a whole season of waterfowl hunting is nothing. Most guys are spending more than $10 each and every time they go out on fuel, food, and shells. And that’s on each one of those items. Yes the goose limit this year sucks but you still have September and 5 bird in February. Plus snows and ducks. We need better habitat management and more land to hunt on. The only way the state can do that is with more money. Now don’t get me wrong the state isn’t perfect and there is ways that I’d like to see them spend the money differently but overall I think they are headed in the right direction. I think we need to keep things in perspective and remember that even with this price increase all of the necessary licenses to hunt waterfowl in this state from sept 1 till April is less than a case of shells or a tank of gas

Edited by Bubblehead

39 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Not really, the price for a couple stamps to hunt an entire season is nothing as compared to the price of hunting deer. I am ok with it 

Just depends how you look at it. For 32 bucks you can bow hunt deer with an unlimited amount of does and 2 antlers deer for 60 days some zones almost 90.  Shot gun lisence 28.5 and 56 for permit gives you all of January in some zones snd others till middle of February. 

6 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Not an option for me, no geese to hunt in my area in September, anyway that’s deer season for me. December and January is a nice break from deer hunting 

Your farm is in one of the best resident geese areas in the state .

:shock:

I stopped goose hunting about 4 years ago. Major changes in the migratory paths in my area. Used to be dependable bag limit shooting years ago. Sold all my goose hunting equipment. I'm done. Even if it makes a small comeback I won't bother to reinvest.

22 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

I don't waterfowl hunt so I have no clue on prices, but is the complaint about $10 to hunt the season ?

I would have no problem paying for the stamp if the hunting was still good and I still had equipment. People bitch about a few bucks and waste tons of money in so many other ways.  I'm tired of the crying about stamp/license/permit costs.