IGNORED

recteq RT-590

Haskell_Hunter

8 hours ago, BCsaw said:

That looks like a fancy smoker.
What happens when you lose local internet access? Will it still work properly on your home generator?
Since you put the charcoal Weber in the shed, Mkay?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It'll probably work fine on the whole house generator.  They don't recommend using it with a portable generator, although I am sure there are people that do.  You don't want dirty power hitting integrated circuits if you can help it.

The Weber is down the street.  I can go steal it back whenever I need to.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

27 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

The Weber is down the street.  I can go steal it back whenever I need to.

I just got the image of you dressed in all black with your face blacked out, sneaking down the street, snagging the WSM and running back home with a mischievous grin on your face.  

8 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I just got the image of you dressed in all black with your face blacked out, sneaking down the street, snagging the WSM and running back home with a mischievous grin on your face.  

Blackface ain't cool anymore.  Get woke, dude!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I bought two whole chickens today for the maiden voyage for the grill.  I will probably cook them slow and low and not bother trying to crisp the skin.

One of these weekends when it doesn't rain, I will cook two more whole chickens side-by-side--one on the Weber kettle with hardwood and one in the recteq--to compare everything about both chickens to do an objective comparison.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

6 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I bought two whole chickens today for the maiden voyage for the grill.  I will probably cook them slow and low and not bother trying to crisp the skin.

One of these weekends when it doesn't rain, I will cook two more whole chickens side-by-side--one on the Weber kettle with hardwood and one in the recteq--to compare everything about both chickens to do an objective comparison.

With rainy weather being a limiting factor to outdoor cooking….I was considering on building a quick roof system out of some 4x4s and some corrugated roofing material 

5 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

With rainy weather being a limiting factor to outdoor cooking….I was considering on building a quick roof system out of some 4x4s and some corrugated roofing material 

When you are done with yours, you can come to my house and build me one!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

So the testing has started.  I preheated the recteq and also set up my inexpensive (and remote) thermometer to check the ambient temperature at grill level against what the recteq was reporting.  I remain skeptical that it holds temperature as tightly as it reports in the app and through the controller.  This is not a laboratory test, my remote thermometer is a retail Chinese one from Amazon, but it's been reliable for the past several years of cooking.

This is how I have the thermometer set up in the grill:

IMG_0653.thumb.jpeg.20072493a24b779ee19062b53ba2fd80.jpeg

I put it as close to the recteq thermometer as I could, but this one is at grill level so I can get the temp reading there versus higher up in the grill.  The initial readings during warm up were only a few degrees apart.  I think the recteq app samples the inside temperature more frequently than my thermometer, so one was always catching up with the other.  But they were close, and that's a pretty good indicator that both thermometers are reading the same temps.

However, I opened the grill to futz around with something and then closed the lid.  This is what I saw on both thermometers:

IMG_0100.thumb.jpeg.5a5c84d7d4e97f7cfcc00da7cb95fecd.jpeg

There was a 25°F difference in temperature readings.  Since I knew the temp should drop from opening the lid, I trust the temperature reading on the left and not the recteq reading.  After closing the lid the temperature on the grill rose quickly.

Once the grill came up to temperature it was time to put two giant chickens into it.  One is an 8# chicken and the other a 7# chicken.

IMG_0654.thumb.jpeg.c376d73daad01de8405f6d424bc85a3b.jpeg

IMG_0655.thumb.jpeg.4be7a2db4e1e21fbca3e5ab977a800aa.jpeg

Since my old thermometer has two probes, I have the other one in one of the chickens along with the recteq probe.  This should check the temperature between both the grill temp and the cooking temp of the chicken.

When I came back in the house and after cleaning off some pans, I checked the temperature probes again.  This was the reading at that time:

IMG_0103.thumb.jpeg.5d7766c8d9f29f62ea37f810708926cd.jpeg

All thermometers seemed to be very close to one another at this time.  Another check after about 30 minutes shows the following temperatures:

IMG_0104.thumb.jpeg.ef6d83d6f2cc4da750b1bcaacfffeb2c.jpeg

The recteq grill temp is off by about 6°F and the meat probes off by only 1°F.  The latter I can attribute to a rounding error so I'll say they're pretty much the same.  The grill temp may be due to where on the grill both thermometers are, but ±6°F isn't too much to worry about.  However, after checking again, a 13°F difference in temp isn't the greatest.  It also shows me that the recteq thermometer isn't providing an accurate grill temperature.

IMG_0105.thumb.jpeg.ae326e22d6a2f60bc19c08aee1e040be.jpeg

It's actually now a 22°F temperature difference.  This will be the last photo for now, but the recteq is at least showing that it's below the temperature I set it at.

IMG_0106.thumb.jpeg.5777f1bb643cbf950126c43f5f7f6cda.jpeg

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

25 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

@Haskell_Hunter you need to throw another thermometer or two in to the mix to see what they are reporting.  

I only have these two (four probes).  The test isn't scientific.

However, there is no oven that I know of, with the exception of some of the high end convection ovens, that hold temperature tightly throughout the cooking process.  Temp has to drop to trigger more heat.  Pellet grills aren't like gas grills where it can acutely adjust the amount of fuel to manage temperature tightly.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

4 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Approximately what was your delivery time, from ordering to receiving time? I think I need a new toy, since I haven't treated myself in two years

Ordered it on July 1, received it July 13.

I don't think it actually shipped until Tuesday, July 6, after the holiday weekend.  It arrived in NJ on Thursday, July 8, and then it finally got to me.  Plan for at least a week, and I would recommend ordering it on a Saturday or Sunday so they can ship it Monday.  I ordered it the Thursday before a holiday weekend, so I expected some delay.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Put the probes in a boiling pot of water to test. They should read the same.   You can also use a glass of ice water but they may not read below 100F.  

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

2 hours ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Approximately what was your delivery time, from ordering to receiving time? I think I need a new toy, since I haven't treated myself in two years

Took 12 days for me but 4 of them were with the carrier.