Green Energy

Lunatic

I would actually consider buying an electric car if it meant I was saving money.  However, from what I read I see no evidence charging is any cheaper than filling . Also buying of electric car is a considerable expense even after government subsidy. 
Take a look at this. I have not verified the numbers it claims, if its true then I don't even know what to say, but does this make any sense? Green energy produced by diesel power generator? 
Anyone on here with electric car? How cheap or expensive is it to run it? 

image.png.d8dfd80151472267776791c8899e4fae.png

This is a picture of a diesel car charging station that are popping up everywhere. Here's an interesting fact....
That 350kw generator uses 12 gallons of diesel fuel per hour, and it takes 3 hours to fully charge a car to get 200 miles.
That's 36 GALLONS for 200 MILES!!! 5.6 miles per gallon

I've looked into it, and I am still interested in getting one.  Not sure when, but it does make sense.

It costs about $12 to charge the car to 100% and you get about 3o0 miles from that.  You might get more miles from newer models.  But that's pretty good.

You also don't have the cost of an internal combustion engine.  No oil changes.  No coolant changes.  None of that stuff comes into play.  You also get a trunk in the front and rear of the vehicle since there's no combustion engine.  So there's more storage and no engine maintenance costs.

The batteries are underneath the vehicle, which creates a low center of gravity.  Better handling and less chance of a roll-over if you get into an accident.

Depending on how this summer goes, I might consider getting one towards the end of this year to drive around town and such instead of driving my truck, which gets 10MPG in town and costs $80 to fill the tank.

The vehicle cost is higher, but the long-term maintenance costs are lower.

1 minute ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I've looked into it, and I am still interested in getting one.  Not sure when, but it does make sense.

It costs about $12 to charge the car to 100% and you get about 3o0 miles from that.  You might get more miles from newer models.  But that's pretty good.

You also don't have the cost of an internal combustion engine.  No oil changes.  No coolant changes.  None of that stuff comes into play.  You also get a trunk in the front and rear of the vehicle since there's no combustion engine.  So there's more storage and no engine maintenance costs.

The batteries are underneath the vehicle, which creates a low center of gravity.  Better handling and less chance of a roll-over if you get into an accident.

Depending on how this summer goes, I might consider getting one towards the end of this year to drive around town and such instead of driving my truck, which gets 10MPG in town and costs $80 to fill the tank.

The vehicle cost is higher, but the long-term maintenance costs are lower.

I would love to see the real breakdown on how electric vehicles are better for environment (overall). 

Yes - they are not creating exhaust, but.....

1) The electricity is still coming primarily from fossil fuels.   But how much - comparatively???

2) Lithium mining and Lithium disposal are both definitely very very bad for environment. Is it really more "sustainable" in the long run compared to fossil fuel?

These are serious questions I have that I admit to not knowing the answer to 

12 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

2) Lithium mining and Lithium disposal are both definitely very very bad for environment. Is it really more "sustainable" in the long run compared to fossil fuel?

Yes, Lithium mining and lithium disposal are, while bad for the environment, substantially less damaging than oil exploration, infrastructure, and byproducts.

Just now, JFC1 said:

Yes, Lithium mining and lithium disposal are, while bad for the environment, substantially less damaging than oil exploration, infrastructure, and byproducts.

do you have any data that does a real, factual compare of total environmental breakdown of combustion engine vs electric?  Comparative bullet points pros vs cons would be nice  - something factual and non-political.     Thanks

16 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I would love to see the real breakdown on how electric vehicles are better for environment (overall). 

Yes - they are not creating exhaust, but.....

1) The electricity is still coming primarily from fossil fuels.   But how much - comparatively???

These are serious questions I have that I admit to not knowing the answer to 

I agree.  Also consider that we will be putting even more strain on our electric grid if we all start buying electric cars.  I took a look at adding solar to the roof of my house nearly covering the whole surface.  I found out that the government limits how much coverage you can do, and that limits the amount of electricity you can get from solar (government loses money when you go solar because they don't charge a utility tax for your generation).  We the coverage I could get it would power my house, but would barely be able to charge an electric car.  So there will always be a load on the existing infrastructure to charge something.

In states like California and Texas, their electric grids have issues.  California can't generate enough power for it's citizens, so they have rolling blackouts like Pakistan and India do.  Texas has other issues, but without a stable power grid, you ain't charging your cars.

Lithium recycling is in its infancy, but I think that whomever can figure out how to reclaim dead batteries will be the next billionaire with that tech.  Electric cars are inevitable, and it'll probably happen in some of our lifetimes.

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

do you have any data that does a real, factual compare of total environmental breakdown of combustion engine vs electric?  Comparative bullet points pros vs cons would be nice  - something factual and non-political.     Thanks

It will only represent a snapshot in time.  Fossil fuels are mature in their technologies.  Electric are in their infancy.  It'll be a different story in 20 years when more cars are on the road.  There will be a tipping point.

Just now, Haskell_Hunter said:

I agree.  Also consider that we will be putting even more strain on our electric grid if we all start buying electric cars.  I took a look at adding solar to the roof of my house nearly covering the whole surface.  I found out that the government limits how much coverage you can do, and that limits the amount of electricity you can get from solar (government loses money when you go solar because they don't charge a utility tax for your generation).  We the coverage I could get it would power my house, but would barely be able to charge an electric car.  So there will always be a load on the existing infrastructure to charge something.

In states like California and Texas, their electric grids have issues.  California can't generate enough power for it's citizens, so they have rolling blackouts like Pakistan and India do.  Texas has other issues, but without a stable power grid, you ain't charging your cars.

Lithium recycling is in its infancy, but I think that whomever can figure out how to reclaim dead batteries will be the next billionaire with that tech.  Electric cars are inevitable, and it'll probably happen in some of our lifetimes.

As you say, TX grid has real problems--it was sabotaged by big oil interests that don't want electricity to go forward

Just now, Haskell_Hunter said:

It will only represent a snapshot in time.  Fossil fuels are mature in their technologies.  Electric are in their infancy.  It'll be a different story in 20 years when more cars are on the road.  There will be a tipping point.

Thanks Haskell, you put it better than I was trying to in responding to JH just now--It's hard to compare the centuries old petroleum industry and its infrastructure and byproducts to new lithium technology.  The results would be apples and oranges, snapshots in time as you put it. But what I did take into account in responding to JH (Most facts ARE political, BTW, JH) is simply the nature of lithium deposits and the transport of the substance--you don't mine lithium (so far) the way we pump petroleum and the tanker trade and pipeline industry seem much more destructive than lithium transportation, beginning simply with the difference between volumes needed and the place of lithium in a batter vs. gas sloshing in a car's tank to be replenished in 400 miles.

10 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

As you say, TX grid has real problems--it was sabotaged by big oil interests that don't want electricity to go forward

I don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theories.  I know TX wanted an independent grid and not a shared grid, and now they learned what that limitation looks like.

Thanks - I would like to sleep well at night, knowing that moving in the direction of electric vehicles is truly better in the long run.  Would hate to think it's purely the result of a political movement. 

I know when it comes to solar panels, I have seen too many once beautiful rolling green fields that used to be filled with deer , are now completely filled with ugly black panels.   I don't like it one bit. 

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Not a chance in Hell that diesel engine burns 12 gallons per hour. Not even remotely close. Someone just wants you to believe electric cars cost as much as gas cars do. 

That part I believe but something is not right with this story 

I have a small portable gen which can run my entire house, and the 7 gallon tank lasts 7 hrs. yes its very expensive at 1 gallon per hour. with today prices of let say $3.50/gal it would cost me $2,604 for a month. Thats with a 8.25 kwh generator. SO I can see how 350kwh generator burns 12 gallons/.hr or something close to it. 

But here is what I found and think about this:

You can charge your car from the grid for the fraction of what is listed above. 70 KWh car at an average cost of 0.14/kwh is only $9.80 for a full charge.
Of course we are taking about generator powered station and they are not efficient. 350kW gen would not be used to provide power to your house, it would be used for a huge office complex.
The question is why is the generator there? Maybe its just a back up in case the grid goes down, serving the entire facility when needed? The only way producing gen power for your car could be affordable to the consumer is if the government picked up most of the cost and maybe thats what is in play here.
To me something does not add up with this picture. Who would buy a generator for$50K to produce very expensive energy, when the grid electricity is so much cheaper?