IGNORED

First batch of the season

Lunatic

8 minutes ago, Kype said:

how long does it last. i tried this last year and grew mold on top of the jar. i must of done something wrong. i cant remember if i left it out or put in fridge.

My end up in refrigerator between 3 to 7 days. By day 7 they are very sour.  They are good in the fridge for at least one year but they never last that long. 

5 minutes ago, Zone50BugNerd said:

Try this as well, especially if you are making spears.  Works great for canning too.  

CB935116-34B7-4D7F-9073-EA3E5AD510F3.png

I am not sure but I don't think this could be used for fermented  pickles. I suspect this is for vinegar pickles.  

Excellent! I already have plans to make something similar soon. Someone posted this recipe a year or two ago - this is awesome, a great summer treat... crisp and cool:

Pickles and Onions

3 to 4 cucumbers
1 medium to large onion (sweet onions, though you could also add in some red onion)
1 to 2 large tomatoes (optional)
1 cup of white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
Fresh dill.

DIRECTIONS:

Slice the cucumbers and onions and put in a large bowl.
(Optional) Cut the tomatoes in cubes and put in bowl
Bring to a boil the vinegar, water & sugar.
Let solution cool down
Pour over the cucumbers and onion (and tomatoes)
Chop up some dill and stir it in
Let it sit a bit to cool off and then refrigerate for several hours.

NOTE: I find I need to make 150% of the solution, especially if I have a lot of cucumbers and I add tomatoes. So it’s: 1 1/2 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup water, 1 1/8 cup sugar

10 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Excellent! I already have plans to make something similar soon. Someone posted this recipe a year or two ago - this is awesome, a great summer treat... crisp and cool:

Pickles and Onions

3 to 4 cucumbers
1 medium to large onion (sweet onions, though you could also add in some red onion)
1 to 2 large tomatoes (optional)
1 cup of white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
Fresh dill.

DIRECTIONS:

Slice the cucumbers and onions and put in a large bowl.
(Optional) Cut the tomatoes in cubes and put in bowl
Bring to a boil the vinegar, water & sugar.
Let solution cool down
Pour over the cucumbers and onion (and tomatoes)
Chop up some dill and stir it in
Let it sit a bit to cool off and then refrigerate for several hours.

NOTE: I find I need to make 150% of the solution, especially if I have a lot of cucumbers and I add tomatoes. So it’s: 1 1/2 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup water, 1 1/8 cup sugar

Sounds tasty, I may give it a try,

As a side note what you posted is a different process. Your method simply adds flavor to the pickles with vinegar and whatever else you add to it but there is no fermentation involved. The sourness in my pickles comes from fermentation. You are growing bacteria which are very beneficial to your digestive system. Its like taking Probiotic on steroids 

7 hours ago, Lunatic said:

So easy water, sea salt, dill and garlic - I added some jalapenos for little  heat .
The key is to crunchy pickles are very small cucumbers. 

Looks so good! I could just sit there and eat a bunch of those. I've been wanting to do this since you last posted showing how you do them. 

I was looking around and I kept seeing that an additional way to keep them crisp was to cut off the ends, or at least the blossom end., at the start. I don't know. 

6 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Pickles and Onions

It was posted by RPK0620. I really like them, too. As you said ..... a great crisp and cool summer treat. 

9 hours ago, Lunatic said:

My end up in refrigerator between 3 to 7 days. By day 7 they are very sour.  They are good in the fridge for at least one year but they never last that long. 

does the jar in your picture have a sealed lid or is it a loose glass lid that just sits on top? 

13 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I am not sure but I don't think this could be used for fermented  pickles. I suspect this is for vinegar pickles.  

It is just calcium chloride I think.  I use it with fermented pickles myself to keep them crisp and have already polished off the first batch made this season with one more 1/2 gallon batch of dills that should be done by Saturday with 2 quart jar of gherkins that should be done by Sunday.

I also use limestone filtered well water which I think may help with firmness too.

Penn State extension service offers this pickling advice:

https://extension.psu.edu/crispy-pickles