IGNORED

Nutsedge!!!

Zone50BugNerd

Bought this house last year and have been chasing a decent front lawn ever since.  I’ve managed to make about 2/3 of it look ok and healthy, I’ll thatch, top dress with lawn soil and reseed the bare spots again this fall.  For now though, does anyone have any recommendations for combatting my growing nutsedge problem?  I did the Scott’s weed/feed in the spring, that was ok.  Then I applied their summer product and almost lost the whole lawn, so that product is out.  Any recommendations other than pulling by hand?  

8FC42FBF-F418-417F-B5EC-B574181E2F28.jpeg

6D80EC20-5885-4DEF-AA64-667F01A8C39B.jpeg

You can't kill it.  That crap will not die.  There are only a few different chemicals that will destroy it.  I am fighting a pretty bad sedge problem right now and here's what I am going to do:  Hit the whole area with herbicide and then till the soil.  You may kill the leaves but you need to kill the roots to get rid of it.  It is also most susceptible in the spring when it emerges to treat it with chemicals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BYOIEE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That stuff will work.  @BowhunterNJ was also dealing with a pretty bad sedge problem and more than likely has some advice to impart.

It is the most challenging lawn weed to deal with and completely eradicate.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 hour ago, Zone50BugNerd said:

Bought this house last year and have been chasing a decent front lawn ever since.  I’ve managed to make about 2/3 of it look ok and healthy, I’ll thatch, top dress with lawn soil and reseed the bare spots again this fall.  For now though, does anyone have any recommendations for combatting my growing nutsedge problem?  I did the Scott’s weed/feed in the spring, that was ok.  Then I applied their summer product and almost lost the whole lawn, so that product is out.  Any recommendations other than pulling by hand?  

8FC42FBF-F418-417F-B5EC-B574181E2F28.jpeg

6D80EC20-5885-4DEF-AA64-667F01A8C39B.jpeg

I had much better results controlling it with liquid weed and feed than with dry applications. It’s actually gone for years but I have grass which chokes all weed and not much can grow through it. 

Sedgehammer as mentioned above works well. Weed and feed does nothing for nutsedge. Also your not supposed to pull it out by hand cause that will make it worse over time. 
Nutsedge is caused from poor drainage and over watering. Aerate your lawn in the fall and overseed.

Good luck 

11 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

pull it out by hand

I am in trouble now.  My wife and I just spent an hour pulling out about 3/4 of what you see in the picture by hand.  I just ordered sedgehammer off Amazon.  I’ll start making targeted applications as needed once it gets here.  I’ll have a better plan for dethatcthing, aerating and reseeding in the fall.  

I always used the Scott’s fertilizers and was happy with results. Last year though I was not. Not sure if it was because lawn wasn’t aerated in very long time? Either way I aerated and overseeded and lawn is looking much better now. I switched over to Lebanon pro fertilizer this spring and lawn is recovering. Lebanon pro is a quarter of the cost of Scott’s. I’ll probably aerate I’m some areas this fall again and also overseed lightly entire lawn. 

42 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

Sedgehammer as mentioned above works well. Weed and feed does nothing for nutsedge. Also your not supposed to pull it out by hand cause that will make it worse over time. 
Nutsedge is caused from poor drainage and over watering. Aerate your lawn in the fall and overseed.

Good luck 

Didn't know about the pulling part.  My lawn is double aerated and overseeded every fall but the sedge keeps popping up.   I also treat the sedge with a spray.  

30 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Didn't know about the pulling part.  My lawn is double aerated and overseeded every fall but the sedge keeps popping up.   I also treat the sedge with a spray.  

From all I’ve read they say not to pull it cause the root seed it leaves behind will split and double?