IGNORED

Smokers: Traeger or Another Brand

My brother has a Traeger came with the lid dented they gave him a 20% discount he told me to buy a Pit Boss so I did, my grill is much heavier and seems higher quality so far… one thing I would say is if you don’t cook for large groups a lot get a smaller size I got the 1600 and it takes forever to heat up when cooking steaks at high temps. 

Did you just create a post, answer your own post, and then post a link for your reference?

I was looking at both and am leaning towards the Traeger.  I've heard that Pit Boss is actually Traeger and looked at the models in the big box stores and for a platinum dealer near me (https://www.oaklandhardware.com/department/smoke-and-fire/), and there is a difference from buying from a dealer and buying in the big box stores.  If I hadn't bought a new crossbow and scope, I would have bought a Traeger.

Everything is made in China except for Webers (and Harleys).

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

19 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Did you just create a post, answer your own post, and then post a link for your reference?

I was looking at both and am leaning towards the Traeger.  I've heard that Pit Boss is actually Traeger and looked at the models in the big box stores and for a platinum dealer near me (https://www.oaklandhardware.com/department/smoke-and-fire/), and there is a difference from buying from a dealer and buying in the big box stores.  If I hadn't bought a new crossbow and scope, I would have bought a Traeger.

Everything is made in China except for Webers (and Harleys).

I have a pitt boss from Lowe’s. Two years, used constantly for grilling  and smoking and it works great never had one single problem. 

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I have a pitt boss from Lowe’s. Two years, used constantly for grilling  and smoking and it works great never had one single problem. 

Well thank China you've never had any problems!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I bought a Trager a few years ago because I heard so many good things about them. Mine must have been a lemon. It would have wild temp swings. I would set it on 225 and it would cycle on and off and the temp would swing from 170 to 260, several times an hour. Used it for 3 smokes, did the same thing each time, never held a consistent temperature. I did research and found that they were using cheaper controllers, and this was not an uncommon problem. Took it back for a full refund because it was only 2 months old. Also found out that Trager and Pitboss use the same internal parts, and are basically the same grill in a different wrapping. 

Research also showed me that the next step up for internal parts was Rec Tec, Yoder, etc. So I got a Rec Tec RT 700 and it has been fantastic. Every time, spot on cooks. a few weeks ago I ordered a Pitboss Lexington for the camp in Maine and picked it up on the way there, mostly because, again, I read good things about them, and it was on the cheaper side, and for a camp smoker, didn't need a high-dollar grill. 

Used it several times up there for 2 weeks and while it did hold a steady temp, I don't think it was accurate, and I didn't have my Ivation to check it. Did a 9 lbs pork butt, which usually takes 12 or 13 hours at 225 on the Rec Tec. Took 17 plus on the Pitboss, and I ended up cranking it up to 260 and wrapping after 15 just to get my IT where I wanted it. Also smoked some salmon filets that we caught. I do smoked salmon all the time at home on the RT 700, takes about 3 hours set on 200, for a full, thick Norwegian or Atlantic filet. These thin, landlocked filets took over 4 hours on the Pitboss, and still were only done to medium IT. Only time I open the lid is once every hour to brush with a maple cayenne glaze, just like home. 

Pitboss held a steady temp, but I don't know what the difference is in cooking time, other than the controller is off and what should be 225 is more like 180.

I would suggest the buy once, cry once route and just get the Rec Tec. 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

13 hours ago, BHC said:

Want to treat myself to one, this Traeger caught my eye, same price on this model all-over:  https://www.pcrichard.com/Traeger/Traeger-Pro-Series-34-Wood-Pellet-Grill-Bronze/TFB88PZB.pcrp

Or is there another maker that is as good and less in money?

I have this one's smaller cousin, the 22. I use it almost every weekend and I love it! I was going to buy a Pitboss, but we have a Traeger dealer here in town so we went that route. Which ever you choose, you will love it.