IGNORED

Better use of trail cameras .

hammer4reel

After reading lots of guys thoughts on not needing or caring about trail cam usage I had the chuckle .

don’t see many of those guys posting quality bucks here ( while maybe they have taken some and didn’t show them here ) 

Limiting a trail camera to just a bait site or mineral site isn’t allowing you to use half its potential.

‘having 1 camera out there isn’t going to give you a total inventory nor a full picture of what you have around .

so possibly you tag out on an animal that isn’t half as good as others that are more mature .

using multiple cell cams at high use pinch points allows a better inventory as well as understand how deer are entering and leaving your spots .

allows for zero intrusion into core areas that if you tried to scout on foot , would more than likely blow a mature deer off the property .

they are out there 24/7 gaining knowledge of everyday travels .

not utilizing them IMO is just short changing opportunity’s at mature deer , especially in areas with more hunting competition on near by pieces .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Your right on target with your post. I have 4 cameras spread out around property, and I learn a lot from those cameras. They are more than just a fun thing to look at (although it is fun) they are a tool for you to learn movement without spooking deer.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Just now, LittleM said:

I don't know.............. hunting shouldn't be about "inventory"

It absolutely is if you inky want to harvest the most mature bucks , while letting others pass .

inventory is the picture of what’s really available .

as well as allows realistic views into what’s available , as IF the best buck on a persons property is 100” there is no reason sitting there hoping to shoot a 130”.

likewise no sense in shooting that 100” buck when there is a 140” there .

goes both sides of the spectrum 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Cameras do not PRODUCE big deer. Neither does a certain bow, arrow, gun, or ammo. Many a big buck was killed before trail cameras were used. If you have the right land with the right deer, you will kill a big buck if that's what you are after. Cameras are much like other hunting products. They aid in self fulfilled prophecies. Make you think if you didn't do this or that, the outcome would not have happened. That's marketing. Sure, it's nice to see pictures of deer. It's like crack cocaine. You just want more. I have seen great deer on cameras at night that I never (or anyone else) killed. Flipside is I killed deer I never saw on camera. So if I hunted where the camera saw one I would have never killed the one that wasn't on camera. It's a "tool". Adds to the experience of hunting. A guy that hunts poor land will not improve his chances of killing a "big" deer no matter how many cameras he uses. The deer has to exist before you kill it.  A deer covers a lot of territory, especially in the rut. You best chances of getting him is putting in the time if you have the right place. That's number 1. 

If you have about a 1,000 acres of land and you want to get an idea of where the deer are hanging out, cameras will help you with that. The typical NJ Hunter that hunts a few acres or a club is only spinning his wheels putting out cameras. 

Edited by archer36

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Cameras do not PRODUCE big deer. Neither does a certain bow, arrow, gun, or ammo. Many a big buck was killed before trail cameras were used. If you have the right land with the right deer, you will kill a big buck if that's what you are after. Cameras are much like other hunting products. They aid in self fulfilled prophecies. Make you think if you didn't do this or that, the outcome would not have happened. That's marketing. Sure, it's nice to see pictures of deer. It's like crack cocaine. You just want more. I have seen great deer on cameras at night that I never (or anyone else) killed. Flipside is I killed deer I never saw on camera. So if I hunted where the camera saw one I would have never killed the one that wasn't on camera. It's a "tool". Adds to the experience of hunting. A guy that hunts poor land will not improve his chances of killing a "big" deer no matter how many cameras he uses. The deer has to exist before you kill it.  A deer covers a lot of territory, especially in the rut. You best chances of getting him is putting in the time if you have the right place. That's number 1. 

About half correct .

sure a big deer has to be there . Second is you have to see him .

if you cover all the pinch points deer access your property you will get him on camera unless he is a transient deer .

IMO there are better bucks on every piece of property guys never see .

Overhung that piece not knowing he is there your neighbors will shoot him .

.as far as the rut , many bucks leave their core area and you don’t have any chance of taking him those weeks .

many times they spend their time chasing 3 miles away .

nature has him travel away from his siblings .

‘IMO when it comes to mature bucks putting in time doesn’t kill them .

hunting correctly the first one or two sits gives you a better chance of actually harvesting that deer .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

About half correct .

sure a big deer has to be there . Second is you have to see him .

if you cover all the pinch points deer access your property you will get him on camera unless he is a transient deer .

IMO there are better bucks on every piece of property guys never see .

Overhung that piece not knowing he is there your neighbors will shoot him .

.as far as the rut , many bucks leave their core area and you don’t have any chance of taking him those weeks .

many times they spend their time chasing 3 miles away .

nature has him travel away from his siblings .

‘IMO when it comes to mature bucks putting in time doesn’t kill them .

hunting correctly the first one or two sits gives you a better chance of actually harvesting that deer .

Well my "opinion" is you are half correct too. No one could say with any assurance what is correct or not. Only the deer knows. 

9 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

My wall of bucks says so lol

Well if you pursue big bucks under the right conditions you will succeed eventually and the odds will be with you. I would rather get a few by mistake/surprise then spend a lot of effort to get more. Not everyone is a "trophy" hunter. Especially in NJ. I did one out of State hunt for "trophy" whitetails. It's a difficult task even in the best of places. I don't think it's worth it but once again, it's an opinion. 

There is one thing that is certain, you can't kill a "big" buck if you kill smaller ones first. I love killing deer. If it happens to have a big rack then good. It does not rob me of the love for hunting being obsessed with killing a big deer. It becomes a job rather than recreation. My opinion. 

Besides, I have no more room for trophies in my trophy room once I put my Eland, Waterbuck, and Hartebeest horns on the wall. LOL

Edited by archer36

4 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

It absolutely is if you inky want to harvest the most mature bucks , while letting others pass .

inventory is the picture of what’s really available .

as well as allows realistic views into what’s available , as IF the best buck on a persons property is 100” there is no reason sitting there hoping to shoot a 130”.

likewise no sense in shooting that 100” buck when there is a 140” there .

goes both sides of the spectrum 

I did not even hunt a certain stand last year where I had shot a good 10pt two years earlier because my cams in that area did not show me anything I was looking to shoot. Therefore it allowed me to concentrate on other areas where I had bucks I was wanting to kill. The cameras makes my hunts more productive.

Cameras are good to see what's in the area, but even they don't show everything that walks through the area or goes behind the camera.  I've never shot a buck in the same place where I had him on camera, that I can remember.  I move them all around to watch funnels, old trails that were scraped or rubbed up the year before, etc.   Trying minerals this year to get them in front of the camera, but honestly think I did better with watching trails and catching natural movement.  Bucks I had on camera in the summer were shot 3 miles away during the season.  Never know when a buck you've never seen will come through looking for doe. Habits constantly change, or they wouldn't get big.  Nothing replaces following the fresh sign.  Take the opportunity when it comes if it looks good to you.  That bigger one on camera could be nocturnal and miles away until next summer.

5 hours ago, electric10162 said:

Definitely agree. I run between 15 to 20 cameras on 180 plus acres. Amazing that bucks, and bears, can pass one camera and not any others. I consistently move my Spartans to try to pin point my efforts before the season begins and provide intel the rest of the way.

I have 15 out also

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈