IGNORED

Why are the deer feeding now?

Rusty

At school yesterday there was a bachelor group of nice bucks out feeding at 11:00 am.  Someone asked me why the deer were up and feeding at that time of the day.  

Side note:  For those of you that don't pay attention to when the sun and moon rise and set everyday, yesterday the moon was underfoot at 11:00.

My answer to their question was,  "It can't have anything to do with the moon because a Penn State study proved that the moon has nothing to do with deer activity".   They looked at me like I was crazy and walked away.   :rofl:  

Just now, Rusty said:

And 2 days earlier they were out feeding at 9:00.   Coincidence?? 

you don't have to convince me that moon has a LOT to do with all forms of deer movement, feeding, patterns, etc, including rut.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

4 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

No doubt the moon has influence. But the question remains... Which has more pull, the moon or the corn pile? 😁

Absolutely.   Timed feeders have a huge impact on deer activity.   So does weather, human activity, and a whole bunch of other factors.   

25 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

you don't have to convince me that moon has a LOT to do with all forms of deer movement, feeding, patterns, etc, including rut.

The moon has much affect on behavior, deer, people etc. ER's usually have much more activity when the moon is full. And of course look what happens to Lon Chaney jr.........

Just now, Rusty said:

A single day observation?  Ignoring scientific data?    You clearly don’t know me.   :rofl:

So what scientific data supports your theory? It's a real question from me since it was you vs penn state study prompted me to look into this on my own. I have now 2.5 years of data I collected from my hunts, 131 points, and there is zero difference in number of deer I see per hunt or per hour between hunts with Moon over or under vs all other times. Also we both know what Penn state showed. Deer moved exactly the same way, feet/minute, day after day, after day with matching movement for each hour of the day on all recorded days. If the moon has effect on deer movement you would see  changes as the time of the day for moon being under or over changes every day. How do you explain this?
I have no horse in this race, I just like to know so let me have it.    

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

So what scientific data supports your theory? It's a real question from me since it was you vs penn state study prompted me to look into this on my own. I have now 2.5 years of data I collected from my hunts, 131 points, and there is zero difference in number of deer I see per hunt or per hour between hunts with Moon over or under vs all other times. Also we both know what Penn state showed. Deer moved exactly the same way, feet/minute, day after day, after day with matching movement for each hour of the day on all recorded days. If the moon has effect on deer movement you would see  changes as the time of the day for moon being under or over changes every day. How do you explain this?
I have no horse in this race, I just like to know so let me have it.    

You may be basing your observations on general feed/ movement times that happen generally because of time of day most everyday.  If you looked at those “odd” times when you seen particularly many animals on the move, feeding, etc.  i would bet youll see some correlation to the moon position 

When the moon is underfoot it's gravitational field is pulling on the earth. This causes a decrease in gravitational force on the earths surface closest to the moon. In turn, this lessening of gravity causes a gravitational vacuum which transmits through the earth and actually increases gravity on our side of the planet. The deer, not understanding science, sense this gravitational vacuum and believe that the grasses and small plants that they feed on are going to get sucked back into the earth. The fear of starvation forces them on to their feet and out in the open to eat at odd times. Stupid deer.

Edited by Woodsman416

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

At school yesterday there was a bachelor group of nice bucks out feeding at 11:00 am.  Someone asked me why the deer were up and feeding at that time of the day.  

Side note:  For those of you that don't pay attention to when the sun and moon rise and set everyday, yesterday the moon was underfoot at 11:00.

My answer to their question was,  "It can't have anything to do with the moon because a Penn State study proved that the moon has nothing to do with deer activity".   They looked at me like I was crazy and walked away.   :rofl:  

Just to clarify, did the bachelor group walk away after you told them they were doing it wrong?

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

25 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

You may be basing your observations on general feed/ movement times that happen generally because of time of day most everyday.  If you looked at those “odd” times when you seen particularly many animals on the move, feeding, etc.  i would bet youll see some correlation to the moon position 

So let me explain Penn state study. Deer had GPS on them. They recorded their 24 hr movement for two months, (maybe one moth I don't remember but it was at least one month). Then they plotted a graph which showed what I described above. Every day without any significant deviation, deer covered the same amount of ground every day, hour by respective hour. So for 30 days deer between 8am and 9 am  traveled exactly the same number of feet for 30 days. The same for 9am to 10am and on and on. No deviation. How is this possible if the moon effects their movement? The time of the day  moon being  position under or over, or the moon phase,  changes every day so how is it every hour of the day for every day they recorded was the same.?  How do you explain that. 

Edited by Lunatic