IGNORED

Question for the Cape May people...

So I've been to Cape May once maybe 20 years ago. The wife and I are looking to do a few nights there next month. I looked up hotels, it seems like the prices for a decent spot is around $400-$500 per night. One place I was looking at is "The Grand Hotel" and would come to $1550 for 3 nights. Stupid expensive, but it is what it is. Anyone ever stay here? Any other hotel recommendations? A lot are sold out when I'm looking to go. Bars, restaurants you like? We MIGHT jump on a party boat to do some fluke fishing. How about crabbing spots? Any and all info would be great.

Cape May is beautiful! The bed and breakfasts are excellent down there, specifically the Queen Victoria (they have multiple properties and rooms at different price points, and EXCELLENT breakfast). The Mason Cottage is cool too.

Whatever you do, you have to eat at the Mad Batter - specifically get the bayberry wings and crab cake sandwich during their lunch hours. Other great spots to eat are Washington Inn (fancy and expensive), Ugly Mug (bar food), we also always stop in North Wildwood for Maui’s Dog House (best hot dogs we’ve ever had, with so many different and creative topping options). Lots of people love the Lobster House and the Blue Pig in Congress hall (another place you can stay btw) but I personally think they’re both overrated, not bad though. 

Places to see are the sunken ship and sunset beach (same spot), the lighthouse which is part of a bird/wildlife sanctuary, and the “outdoor mall” with a ton of shops and restaurants. Also, you can take a horse drawn carriage tour through the town which is pretty cool too since all the Victorian architecture is so nice to look at. My wife and I honeymooned there in December 2012 through Christmas so we got to see everything all lit up and decorated, it’s gorgeous.

No matter what you do or where you stay, I’m sure you’re going to love it. Have fun!

Edited by alabjr

9 minutes ago, alabjr said:

Cape May is beautiful! The bed and breakfasts are excellent down there, specifically the Queen Victoria (they have multiple properties and rooms at different price points, and EXCELLENT breakfast). The Mason Cottage is cool too.

Whatever you do, you have to eat at the Mad Batter - specifically get the bayberry wings and crab cake sandwich during their lunch hours. Other great spots to eat are Washington Inn (fancy and expensive), Ugly Mug (bar food), we also always stop in North Wildwood for Maui’s Dog House (best hot dogs we’ve ever had, with so many different and creative topping options). Lots of people love the Lobster House and the Blue Pig in Congress hall (another place you can stay btw) but I personally think they’re both overrated, not bad though. 

Places to see are the sunken ship and sunset beach (same spot), the lighthouse which is part of a bird/wildlife sanctuary, and the “outdoor mall” with a ton of shops and restaurants. Also, you can take a horse drawn carriage tour through the town which is pretty cool too since all the Victorian architecture is so nice to look at. My wife and I honeymooned there in December 2012 through Christmas so we got to see everything all lit up and decorated, it’s gorgeous.

No matter what you do or where you stay, I’m sure you’re going to love it. Have fun!

Thanks for all that info! Greatly appreciated 

Haven’t been in several years but always had a great time.  Used to stay at Queen Victoria, dinner at Washington Inn, the Ugly Mug, and a seafood restaurant at the marina (forget name - sorry). Sunset beach (not sure if they still play Kate Smith’s God Bless America anymore) is neat too.  Enjoy! 

The Grand is pretty nice. It’s probably the most “touristy” in Cape May but it’s just a place to crash anyway.

Lots of good places to eat. Some good lunch and drink spots are Harry’s, Mad Batter, C-View tavern (best wings), Exit Zero filling station. Dinner if you’re gonna go all out definitely try and get reservations at Peter Shields Inn, Washington Inn is good too, Sappore Italiano, 410 Bank Street. Please don’t go to the Lobster House. When I talk to people about Cape May and they say “I love the lobster house!” it just screams Shoobie. Over rated tourist trap. Go to Lucky Bones or Mayer’s across the street and get some good seafood instead 

If you want some good cocktails and music check out Nauti Spirits. Rusty Nail is pretty chill for a beer too. Harry’s has the best crushes and ocean views. Mad Batter is known for their brunch drinks. Willow Creek Winery (if you’re gonna check out a vineyard make sure it’s this one). 

Some fun outside stuff: 

Beach Plum farm has a nice market and places to explore. Cape May Point lighthouse has some nice nature trails. Washington street mall is good for shopping and pretty centered in town for walking around and checking out the Victorian homes. 

There’s a bait and tackle store (Jim’s) on the way into town right over the bridge. Don’t know about crabbing spots in town, I’ve seen people crabbing the little creek on Elmira St. but I’ve never tried it. There’s some places within a short drive though. Any other questions PM me. I live here so I’ve pretty much ate, drank, fished, or hunted most places around here. Enjoy your stay!

Edited by the truth

3 minutes ago, the truth said:

The Grand is pretty nice. It’s probably the most “touristy” in Cape May but it’s just a place to crash anyway.

Lots of good places to eat. Some good lunch spots are Harry’s, Mad Batter, C-View tavern (best wings), Exit Zero filling station. Dinner if you’re gonna go all out definitely try and get reservations at Peter Shields Inn, Washington Inn is good too, Sappore Italiano, 410 Bank Street. Please don’t go to the Lobster House. When I talk to people about Cape May and they say “I love the lobster house!” it just screams Shoobie. Over rated tourist trap. Go to Lucky Bones or Mayer’s across the street and get some good seafood instead  

Some fun outside stuff: 

Beach Plum farm has a nice market and places to explore. Willow Creek Winery (if you’re gonna check out a vineyard make sure it’s this one). Cape May Point lighthouse has some nice nature trails. Washington street mall is good for shopping and pretty centered in town for walking around and checking out the Victorian homes. 

There’s a bait and tackle store (Jim’s) on the way into town right over the bridge. Don’t know about crabbing spots in town, I’ve seen people crabbing the little creek on Elmira St. but I’ve never tried it. There’s some places within a short drive though. Any other questions PM me. I live here so I’ve pretty much ate, drank, fished, or hunted most places around here. Enjoy your stay!

The little creek behind Elmira at the railroad bridge is great crabbing at high tide…now that I gave away my spot!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

21 minutes ago, the truth said:

Lots of good places to eat. Some good lunch and drink spots are Harry’s, Mad Batter, C-View tavern (best wings), Exit Zero filling station. Dinner if you’re gonna go all out definitely try and get reservations at Peter Shields Inn, Washington Inn is good too, Sappore Italiano, 410 Bank Street. Please don’t go to the Lobster House. When I talk to people about Cape May and they say “I love the lobster house!” it just screams Shoobie. Over rated tourist trap. Go to Lucky Bones or Mayer’s across the street and get some good seafood instead 

If you want some good cocktails and music check out Nauti Spirits. Rusty Nail is pretty chill for a beer too. Harry’s has the best crushes and ocean views. Mad Batter is known for their brunch drinks. Willow Creek Winery (if you’re gonna check out a vineyard make sure it’s this one). 

Some fun outside stuff: 

Beach Plum farm has a nice market and places to explore. Cape May Point lighthouse has some nice nature trails. Washington street mall is good for shopping and pretty centered in town for walking around and checking out the Victorian homes. 

Hey bud thanks SO MUCH for all of that detailed info! I sincerely appreciate it. I will be sending you a PM if you don't mind. I tend to go overboard when planning trips to places I've never been, so your info is a huge help! Again, really appreciate it 

45 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

Hey bud thanks SO MUCH for all of that detailed info! I sincerely appreciate it. I will be sending you a PM if you don't mind. I tend to go overboard when planning trips to places I've never been, so your info is a huge help! Again, really appreciate it 

Yeah man you’re welcome! I am the same way  when I go somewhere I wanna eat where the locals eat and get the scoop on the fun things to do that aren’t necessarily on the “brochure”. I’ll be damned if I spend thousands on a vacation to go sit in some friggin sand everyday and get burned. Maybe the beach is just old hat to me though lol. Lots of things to do around here that’s for sure 

Go to CM 6-7 times a year. We don’t stay in hotels anymore, use our RV, but we’ve stayed at The Virginia many times, it’s overpriced like all the rest, but nice rooms right above The Ebbit Room (great restaurant) and next door to Mad Batter. 
Fredas is a very small but great restaurant as well.

A great lunch spot right across from the beach and across the Street from Unc Bills,  is George’s (the Greeks), best hummus I’ve ever had. 

Keep in mind CM will be much less crowded this summer as the Canadians aren’t able to make the trip south yet. They typically make up a very large segment of the summer visitors.