IGNORED

Canadian Outfitters Keeping Deposits

I went on one Canadian hunt, moose hunt with Bob Efforts, never saw a moose and he sold his western moose camp and ran us out of his fly-out fishing camp loaded with local hunters and 3 hour one way drive to the hunting area!  They are crooks and thieves, never again!

38 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Shake my head. It is horrible that money was taken for a service not provided, regardless of the situation. In my opinion, if a hunt didn't happen, outfitters should not keep money. 

Just playing Devils advocate but that's why there is insurance for these things..  but there are some outfitters still trying to make right by the customer

That article was clearly written for (and a defense of) the outfitters, not the clients.

That said - anytime I've ever booked a trip where I left the borders of the mainland US, I *ALWAYS* purchased trip insurance. 

Asking to put out $10,000 up front, in advance? I'm paying trip insurance because you never know what could happen ... true, who worries about a pandemic closing the borders... but you could step off the curb wrong and break your leg the day before you leave! Or get sick. Or any number of things... thousands of dollars pre-paid is a lot to ride on uninsured.

I gave my outfitter in BC $3200 in 2018 for 2020 hunt. Of course we could not go last year and the outfitter said he simply could not return the money. He rescheduled out trip to 2021. I was ok with it because at the time I had no idea this virus would end up screwing our live to this degree and for this long. Also you have to book the trip two years in advance and I did not feel like taking the money and then starting all over two years in advance of the trip. Last month the outfitter told us the boarder should be open in July and the trip is on. We need to give him the and 1/2 of  the $ 60 days in advance, which would be in July as well. But! But if there are restrictions like vaccination or 14 day quarantine  we can't meet we loose the money:shock: There was no possible way I was giving him another penny until I knew for sure I could get there.  I actually said to him" you are holding my deposit, you want more money, and in the same conversation you tell me I am most likely losing all of it. Why should I give you  more money? I get the fact you nor I created this problem but so far only I am taking the hits and you are not doing anything for me. He backed off and we came to a reasonable agreement. We postponed the trip to 2023. I already have Wyoming trip scheduled for next year. This year would never work. I know they would require vaccination, which I am not getting this point, and I will not have enough time to get ready. What happens in 2023? who knows, I hope everything will come down and my buddy and I will  get to BC to chase some Elk. If nothing changes I have a feeling the deposit is gone. What can I possibly do? 

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

If nothing changes I have a feeling the deposit is gone.

As I read that article, it sounds like your money (or most of it) is already gone and he might not be willing to tell you that yet. That article claims most of the money hunters already sent has already been spent on expenses to prepare for the hunts that got canceled, and those expenses will need to be paid for again to prepare for the rolled-over hunt.

That article also made a good point I didn't think about... what about the tags/quotas?

And what about the government quota for the game animals? The quota was for that lost season and even if you could figure out the logistics of taking two seasons worth of clients in one, the government wasn’t about to give you a double quota for the following year. 

Some Canadian outfitters are on a quota system, which allows them to take only so many animals in a season. Most outfitters in this situation lost their quotas for the seasons in which their hunters could not show up and, as of this moment, there is no indication by any of the Provincial or Territorial governments that those unused tags will be moved to future years.

Effectively, postponed hunts from those outfitters likely won't have any tags so you won't be able to harvest anything even if you go.

Just a bad situation all around... everyone is going to be losing money.

9 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

As I read that article, it sounds like your money (or most of it) is already gone and he might not be willing to tell you that yet. That article claims most of the money hunters already sent has already been spent on expenses to prepare for the hunts that got canceled, and those expenses will need to be paid for again to prepare for the rolled-over hunt.

That article also made a good point I didn't think about... what about the tags/quotas?

Effectively, postponed hunts from those outfitters likely won't have any tags so you won't be able to harvest anything even if you go.

Just a bad situation all around... everyone is going to be losing money.

It’s not most of it. 50% deposit. My 2nd half was due in July but by then it was over. I have a new contract for 2023 with the 2nd half due 60 days before. 

I got scammed by a New Brunswick deer camp. Sold us a great line of B/S and even included a video of some of the past hunts and clients. Upon arriving at camp the first night, the outfitter was there to collect everyone's money. First morning of the hunt, he was gone. There was one cook and one local guide to comply with the guiding requirement for non-resident hunters. The cook said that the owner had to go to his regular job with the phone company.

54 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

I got scammed by a New Brunswick deer camp. Sold us a great line of B/S and even included a video of some of the past hunts and clients. Upon arriving at camp the first night, the outfitter was there to collect everyone's money. First morning of the hunt, he was gone. There was one cook and one local guide to comply with the guiding requirement for non-resident hunters. The cook said that the owner had to go to his regular job with the phone company.

Who was the Outfitter? I hunted there 20 years straight last being 2018.