IGNORED

Pictures and Video from Colorado hiking trip this past week. So Beautiful

Not me but my nephew Fred and friend were there, he hikes all over the world check out the video in the link Mountain lakes and deer.  It is so beautiful its hard to believe its real.

https://www.facebook.com/frederick.nix/videos/10158285120180897/

202018700_10158285120055897_9180097803745335647_n.jpg

201804449_10158285120510897_2916197704644676041_n.jpg

202119537_10158285121105897_6743959399245095758_n.jpg

202951273_10158285119775897_8906653124974203613_n.jpg

Edited by bushden
added more pictures

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

• bushden changed the title to Pictures and Video from Colorado hiking trip this past week. So Beautiful

I wish I could handle that kind of hiking.  It is definitely for the younger guys.

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

10 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Awesome pics, look like post cards.  Are you sure this isnt NJ?? Lol 

I wish we had places like that in NJ, but then NJ would probably turn them into a land fill for NY

HONOR THE FALLEN

I wish I could handle that kind of hiking.  It is definitely for the younger guys.

How old are you? The year before last my son and I did an archery elk hunt outside Steamboat Springs. I was 53 at the time.

At 43 I had a widow maker heart attack just 7 months after winning the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan Ams. I had a 100% blockage of the LAD artery. In 2015 I had a construction accident falling through the steps at my home due to rusted nails from Hurricane Sandy that caused 6 bulging discs. 3 in my neck and 3 in my lumbar region. I could barely walk the dogs around the block for a year without having tears in my eyes. I have had 3 knee surgeries from College football.

We hiked 6-8 miles a day not on hiking trails but bushwhacking. We had elk on the next ridge over bugling within 15 minutes of getting to where we would base camp. Our camp was at 8400 feet. The bottom of the drainage we hunted was 7400 feet. The bottom was only 1/3 of a mile so it was super steep with blow downs that were hidden by ferns and other foliage that was often 7 feet tall. It took just over an hours to get to the bottom and coming back it took just under 3 hours!

My point is if I could do it unless you are limited to a wheel chair anyone could. I trained for it working up to carrying a 75lb pack and hiking 2-5 miles in Hartshorne Woods. I did a basic kettlebell workout as well as 30 minutes of step ups with 40lbs in my pack a couple days of the week. I wore a HR monitor and on the climb back to camp my HR got up to 196bpm! I haven’t been that high since my heart attack.

It was an awesome trip. We didn’t get one but had a cow come within 80 yards before the wind shifted. Unfortunately on the 4th day of the season my son woke up with Altitude Sickness. We drove in to Steamboat which was 2000 feet lower than camp and after 4 hours he wasn’t any better and I made the decision to leave because otherwise he would have ended up in the hospital or worse.

This is a picture of the drainage behind our camp.

I will try and attach the photo later. I keep getting an errror saying ICloud failed to sync.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

19 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

How old are you? The year before last my son and I did an archery elk hunt outside Steamboat Springs. I was 53 at the time.

At 43 I had a widow maker heart attack just 7 months after winning the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan Ams. I had a 100% blockage of the LAD artery. In 2015 I had a construction accident falling through the steps at my home due to rusted nails from Hurricane Sandy that caused 6 bulging discs. 3 in my neck and 3 in my lumbar region. I could barely walk the dogs around the block for a year without having tears in my eyes. I have had 3 knee surgeries from College football.

We hiked 6-8 miles a day not on hiking trails but bushwhacking. We had elk on the next ridge over bugling within 15 minutes of getting to where we would base camp. Our camp was at 8400 feet. The bottom of the drainage we hunted was 7400 feet. The bottom was only 1/3 of a mile so it was super steep with blow downs that were hidden by ferns and other foliage that was often 7 feet tall. It took just over an hours to get to the bottom and coming back it took just under 3 hours!

My point is if I could do it unless you are limited to a wheel chair anyone could. I trained for it working up to carrying a 75lb pack and hiking 2-5 miles in Hartshorne Woods. I did a basic kettlebell workout as well as 30 minutes of step ups with 40lbs in my pack a couple days of the week. I wore a HR monitor and on the climb back to camp my HR got up to 196bpm! I haven’t been that high since my heart attack.

It was an awesome trip. We didn’t get one but had a cow come within 80 yards before the wind shifted. Unfortunately on the 4th day of the season my son woke up with Altitude Sickness. We drove in to Steamboat which was 2000 feet lower than camp and after 4 hours he wasn’t any better and I made the decision to leave because otherwise he would have ended up in the hospital or worse.

I will try and attach the photo later. I keep getting an errror saying ICloud failed to sync.

But you were fit when you got in trouble and that's the difference. By the time most people end up having health problems they are so far gone it is almost  impossible to reverse anything. They would not even know how. 

23 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

I am 70 years old. I had this knee surgery planned for March last year and cancelled due to COVID.  I had stage 4 cancer 8 years ago which took a lot out of me but I never stopped hunting and fishing. I look forward to at least another 10 years of hunting if the good lord keeps me healthy.  As for hiking the mountains of Colorado I will leave that for you younger guys I had my share of long humps over the years.

HONOR THE FALLEN

I am 70 years old. I had this knee surgery planned for March last year and cancelled due to COVID.  I had stage 4 cancer 8 years ago which took a lot out of me but I never stopped hunting and fishing. I look forward to at least another 10 years of hunting if the good lord keeps me healthy.  As for hiking the mountains of Colorado I will leave that for you younger guys I had my share of long humps over the years.

I I am sorry to hear about the cancer and very inspired to see that you are still at it!

I just get sick and tired of hearing guys my age and younger saying they can’t do this because they are too old. If I can do it anyone can barring some physical disability.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

But you were fit when you got in trouble and that's the difference. By the time most people end up having health problems they are so far gone it is almost  impossible to reverse anything. They would not even know how. 

This is true and the cardiologist who put the stent in me said I am alive today because how good of shape I was in from BJJ. I don’t remember the medical term but he said my heart had developed extra capillaries and allowed enough blood in my heart that I didn’t develop any scar tissue.

As a matter of fact 3 weeks later he did an echocardiogram and said if he didn’t know my recent history he would call my heart normal. He said there was one small irregularity but it still fell within normal parameters and he expected it to heal within a month or two. He also told me I probably had a 95% blockage when I won the Pan Ams.

I I am sorry to hear about the cancer and very inspired to see that you are still at it!

I just get sick and tired of hearing guys my age and younger saying they can’t do this because they are too old. If I can do it anyone can barring some physical disability.

I think it’s semantics, when people say they’re too old, it usually means they don’t want it bad enough to put in the time, energy, and money it takes. You have to REALLY want it. I’m in that boat, I’ve been going for 25 years, but I’m not going anymore as I’m not desperate to get an elk anymore. When people ask me why I’m giving up elk hunting, I tell them I’m getting too old for that crap.