Bow / Firearm “No Discharge” Laws

Are you looking to shoot or hunt?  There is a difference and many ordinances have exceptions.  There are plenty of towns west of union county that allow you to shoot.  There is a public archery range in union also

My guess - check the southern counties. Anything near the cities (NYC, Philly) are (a) likely ruled by anti-gun liberals (b) don't have the open space to justify allowing discharge.

Check Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland counties. I know for a fact that there are people that hunt and shoot on their own properties down there. But its mostly farms down here (again, not counting the burbs near Philly)

17 minutes ago, alabjr said:

I don’t know of a single town anywhere within a half hour of my house where you’re allowed to (if you’d like, I can literally rattle off a few dozen town names just off the top of my head that absolutely don’t allow shooting). Can you please name a few towns in your area that allow shooting so I have an idea of what area of the state you’re talking about? 

Just about all of Hunterdon / warren / Sussex county allow it 

7 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Why do you need this info for 600 municipalities? If a town is of interest to you call the police department and you may get your answer quickly 

How about let’s start with 6 town names instead of 600 lol? In this entire thread not a single person has NAMED EVEN ONE TOWN lol. 

I don’t need to know 600, but it would be nice to have a place to start looking where I might be interested, since this is probably going to be a major factor in deciding where to move. It’s annoying to keep looking at towns I hypothetically might want to live and then checking on this factor, among many others that go into a decision like that. 

Just figured maybe a few of you guys on here would be able to say “I know of blank 1, blank 2, and blank 3 towns that definitely allow shooting on your own property.” But instead I’m getting a bunch of comments about different ways to go about learning the info, instead of answering the question...

34 minutes ago, alabjr said:

How about let’s start with 6 town names instead of 600 lol? In this entire thread not a single person has NAMED EVEN ONE TOWN lol. 

I don’t need to know 600, but it would be nice to have a place to start looking where I might be interested, since this is probably going to be a major factor in deciding where to move. It’s annoying to keep looking at towns I hypothetically might want to live and then checking on this factor, among many others that go into a decision like that. 

Just figured maybe a few of you guys on here would be able to say “I know of blank 1, blank 2, and blank 3 towns that definitely allow shooting on your own property.” But instead I’m getting a bunch of comments about different ways to go about learning the info, instead of answering the question...

To answer your question I don’t think a list like this exists. I know in my town. Aberdeen twp hunting is allowed with all approved weapons. So there can not be a ban on discharging. 

44 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

To answer your question I don’t think a list like this exists. I know in my town. Aberdeen twp hunting is allowed with all approved weapons. So there can not be a ban on discharging. 

Here's the thing,  towns can not legally ban hunting so they circumvent by adding discharge laws.  Alot of towns have exceptions to discharge some do not.  It's bs and I do know that fish and game is actively fighting towns with no hunting ordinances.

My town dosmt have discharge laws but in certain developments it does but it reads propulsion by explosion,  so it does not include bow.  Some towns read propulsion by ant means

Edited by vdep217

3 hours ago, alabjr said:

No one will name a town as they don’t want 1000 internet scouters in their yard. Just look for  the Trump signs and American flags. You can shoot in those towns  I’m sure. If you see Bernie, Obama or Biden bumper stickers in abundance you prob can’t shoot there. The places mentioned plus Morris and some of Passaic county are also good.  You can shoot a bow FYI in Paterson. It’s not illegal but letting a rabbit run at large is and it must be registered, if you go there to shoot leash and register your bunny. You can smoke pot while doing so though. Seriously get out of your area or look in your area. Plenty of state ranges, parks, even private clubs not real far from you. Paterson for instance doesn’t allow discharge but names all types illegal and bow isn’t on there. You can bow fish in Paterson but not in Clifton. Years back when they did the UBNJ hunt in Garret, they had to stay clear of Clifton. 
Union county allows hunts in the parks FYI. Look into it

2 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Here's the thing,  towns can not legally ban hunting so they circumvent by adding discharge laws.  Alot of towns have exceptions to discharge some do not.  It's bs and I do know that fish and game is actively fighting towns with no hunting ordinances.

My town dosmt have discharge laws but in certain developments it does but it reads propulsion by explosion,  so it does not include bow.  Some towns read propulsion by ant means

Some towns use the projectile as in “propels any hard object”. That’s a hard one to get around as well

7 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

No one will name a town as they don’t want 1000 internet scouters in their yard. Just look for  the Trump signs and American flags. You can shoot in those towns  I’m sure. If you see Bernie, Obama or Biden bumper stickers in abundance you prob can’t shoot there. The places mentioned plus Morris and some of Passaic county are also good.  You can shoot a bow FYI in Paterson. It’s not illegal but letting a rabbit run at large is and it must be registered, if you go there to shoot leash and register your bunny. You can smoke pot while doing so though. Seriously get out of your area or look in your area. Plenty of state ranges, parks, even private clubs not real far from you. Paterson for instance doesn’t allow discharge but names all types illegal and bow isn’t on there. You can bow fish in Paterson but not in Clifton. Years back when they did the UBNJ hunt in Garret, they had to stay clear of Clifton. 
Union county allows hunts in the parks FYI. Look into it

Understandable as far as the privacy of someone’s town (though stating that you know there’s not a no discharge law in town “x” doesn’t necessarily mean that’s where you live, and it also doesn’t help anyone pinpoint your exact address, but point taken). 

Union county park hunts are by application only and they only grant a handful of those permits total, usually only 1 or 2 per park for example.

Clinton WMA is the closest state land range and that’s about 35min from me. I don’t have the money to pay for private clubs or for private range time consistently so I settle for the drive out to Clinton as often as I can. Just would love to be able to walk out the back door and shoot something. 

3 minutes ago, alabjr said:

Understandable as far as the privacy of someone’s town (though stating that you know there’s not a no discharge law in town “x” doesn’t necessarily mean that’s where you live, and it also doesn’t help anyone pinpoint your exact address, but point taken). 

Union county park hunts are by application only and they only grant a handful of those permits total, usually only 1 or 2 per park for example.

Clinton WMA is the closest state land range and that’s about 35min from me. I don’t have the money to pay for private clubs or for private range time consistently so I settle for the drive out to Clinton as often as I can. Just would love to be able to walk out the back door and shoot something. 

I pm you some ideas to help start you. Hope it helps 

Something I should mention as well. Even with no discharge law you just can’t pull over and set up shop. You need to have permission to be on property, you need to follow rules as in even a wma that allows target practice only allows it in one area. 
Also at times with firearm there are def backstop restrictions for safety. 
35 mins isn’t all that bad to be honest considering your situation 

28 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Just look for  the Trump signs and American flags. You can shoot in those towns  I’m sure. If you see Bernie, Obama or Biden bumper stickers in abundance you prob can’t shoot there.

This is soooo funny... but at the same time soooo true!

Salem and Cumberland counties - there is a Trump sign or flag every third house (still!) :)