IGNORED

New duck hunter

Turkeyslayer

Before spending a lot of money try to hook up with other experienced guys, it can get real expensive and you don't want to waste  money on gear you may or may not like. Nothing wrong with being mentored.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On 6/16/2021 at 8:38 AM, bushden said:

Before spending a lot of money try to hook up with other experienced guys, it can get real expensive and you don't want to waste  money on gear you may or may not like. Nothing wrong with being mentored.

This is the best advice to follow for all forms of hunting. You don't need sitka, you dont need the $500 gear. Start out simple and work your way up.

I will say, solid pair of waders is worth the investment.

Duck hunting mentors are hard to come by most guys don’t/won’t risk having their spots burned. Having said that I would go with a guide to see what’s involved learn and see all the public land available to you to explore and find your own spots. 

Flights Cancelled and Ol Barney are two good ones in the area and good guys. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, Turkeyslayer said:

I want to get into duck hunting I am a very avid hunter and fisherman but I never went duck or goose hunting any tips cheap decoys etc

1.Pattern your gun. I'm shooting 2s and 3s for ducks and bb for goose.

2. Scout a variety of areas water and fields.

3. Chest waders are a must unless you have a boat and dog. I keep a fishing rod and a few sinkers and treble hooks to snag downed birds.