Does anyone have nice grass?

Kype

7 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

@Haskell_Hunter I'm not kidding.  Balance the soil now until then, nuke it all in the fall and reseed with a cool season tall fescue blend.  You'll have a perfect, uniform lawn by end of fall.  No weeds, no differing grasses, etc.  

I prefer Kentucky Bluegrass, which is not the easiest to maintain, but freakin' looks the best.

I like the broad leaf grass. Doesn’t grow very fast or very high so no need to cut as often. Stays green thru everything and is almost impossible to kill. 
I mix thx with dandelions and clover. No expensive ground water polluting chemical weeds and feed. 
PERFECT

the most maintenance  free grass is zoysia grass it is not affected by any of the know funguses out there , does not need to be fertilized  only watered the only draw back with it it is the first to brown out early fall and is the last to green up in the spring , when cut short it look like a golf course green

Edited by FishNHard

I've been in the lawn business almost 20 years. This was a good read with alot of great info. But every lawn is different..soils, shade, pests etc. Dosen't hurt to have some look at it and give you some pointers. 4 applications a season are adequate if you time them correctly.  Dont let the big name lawn companies talk you into 8.

20210526_155905.jpg

I know how to have a great lawn, but I could not possibly care less. I used to - realized was a slave to it, and putting bad stuff into the ground to accomplish it... For what?  My yard is 30% real grass, 30% clovers and broadleafs, 20% dandelions and rest are assorted weeds and of course the dreaded summer crab grass. It's all green after its mowed.   The rabbits and deer and other animals like the clovers, dandelions and broadleafs.   The environment does not care much for me dumping a boatload of chemicals to have a pure green grass lawn.   No thanks Scott's, TrueGreen, or Chemlawn.  
When I stopped caring about my lawn over 15 years ago, I started catching more and bigger fish, and shooting more mature bigger bucks. 
Why?  Because I am not wasting time caring about what my lawn looks like...  Pure and simple.           After it's mowed, looks great how it is, it's all green "something".          

Wow this really hit home lol. We moved into our new home last July and I feel like my lawn owns me. Endless quest for the perfect lawn. I should be fishing more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Timo said:

Wow this really hit home lol. We moved into our new home last July and I feel like my lawn owns me. Endless quest for the perfect lawn. I should be fishing more emoji482.png

It grows old very quickly, especially if you have a big area. To me it would not be worth the time or money. Let it grow wild, you will be happier and healthier  

I don’t believe maintenance has to be that hard if you put the effort in up front. But maybe I just got lucky.  I re-did my old lawn about 7-8 years ago.  I started by killing all of the old grass.  Mowed it as short as possible.   I watered it thoroughly for a few days and dropped 10 yards “about 2 inches” of fresh soil on top.  Rolled it with one of those water filled rollers. Freshly seeded with a turf type tall fescue from Jonathan green, covered with straw, and watered consistently until most germinated.   It came out great.   All I do is keep it cut high. Never scalped.   No weeds have infiltrated since.  The occasional clover that pops up is killed off with topical weed killer.  I don’t use fertilizer or anything else for that matter.   Just keep it mowed taller and that seems to work just fine.  

good luck.  

3 minutes ago, M&M said:

I don’t believe maintenance has to be that hard if you put the effort in up front. But maybe I just got lucky.  I re-did my old lawn about 7-8 years ago.  I started by killing all of the old grass.  Mowed it as short as possible.   I watered it thoroughly for a few days and dropped 10 yards “about 2 inches” of fresh soil on top.  Rolled it with one of those water filled rollers. Freshly seeded with a turf type tall fescue from Jonathan green, covered with straw, and watered consistently until most germinated.   It came out great.   All I do is keep it cut high. Never scalped.   No weeds have infiltrated since.  The occasional clover that pops up is killed off with topical weed killer.  I don’t use fertilizer or anything else for that matter.   Just keep it mowed taller and that seems to work just fine.  

good luck.  

Also, I started mid august with the lawn kill and was seeding early September.   From what I’ve read, fall is the best time. Gives your new grass two seasons fall/spring to establish before summer heat.  

15 minutes ago, M&M said:

Also, I started mid august with the lawn kill and was seeding early September.   From what I’ve read, fall is the best time. Gives your new grass two seasons fall/spring to establish before summer heat.  

I also read grass keeps developing the roots during winter months 

Lawns should be outlawed! A big waste of water,time and money! We put harmful fertilizer on it,it grows faster and we have to cut it more! Most towns won't take the grass clippings, ad to it the bad chemicals that we dump on the lawn to kill disease and bugs that end up in our water.     Ah but it looks so nice!:hail:

6 minutes ago, toxo said:

Lawns should be outlawed! A big waste of water,time and money! We put harmful fertilizer on it,it grows faster and we have to cut it more! Most towns won't take the grass clippings, ad to it the bad chemicals that we dump on the lawn to kill disease and bugs that end up in our water.     Ah but it looks so nice!:hail:

But we have to keep up with the Jones’s.   Isn’t that the American way?   

Where’s the sheep emoji?    

But we have to keep up with the Jones’s.   Isn’t that the American way?   

Where’s the sheep emoji?    

Honestly, I just like to walk around my lawn barefoot in the summer. Like the feel a nice cut lawn between my toes. And the occasional feel of warm dog crap between my toes because my husky’s metabolism is through the roof