Does anyone have nice grass?

Kype

7 hours ago, 2 Brits said:

One thing to consider is when you had the septic tank replaced, I'll bet they used annual grass.  It comes in quick, looks nice and green, but alot of it dies out over the winter and in the spring looks like hell.  Wait until labor day, rip it up and put down decent grass seed.  I had this happen to me when my neighbor had his railroad ties replaced with block - I let them use my side yard for access, and they put down annual seed when done.  I went out on a limb and bought a Sun Joe dethatcher.  I was a bit skeptical but the thing worked great, couldn't believe how much thatch that thing pulled up.  Then I overseeded and used starter fertilizer.  The lawn looks great!  I'm one of the last people on my block that cuts their own lawn, my one neighbor asked me why do I still do it?  I told him I like the exercise, and the money I save by doing it myself I just spend on other things - ammo, arrows etc.  He laughed and said makes sense.  

thats what i was thinking. they installed the new septic and just through down some cheap one year grass seed. it looked great, but like you said after the first winter and next spring it was crap. 

6 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Start it this fall!

can i rip it all out in the fall and lay down sod? or is sod seasonal/sucks/ dont do sod in fall?

7 minutes ago, Kype said:

can i rip it all out in the fall and lay down sod? or is sod seasonal/sucks/ dont do sod in fall?

Sod is sheets of grass that's already growing.  It's established turf.  You can put it down anytime.  But like anything else you need to maintain it.  It's putting down grass that's had a head start versus trying to grow it from seed.

Planting in the fall allows whatever you are putting down to establish itself without the competition of weeds.  It also rains more in the fall, so that will help too.

2 hours ago, Cripple Shot said:

With this grass you can make "Grass plugs" and place them about where you need grass. It will fill in and take over existing grass.

I tried once but it did not take. I’ll give a try one more time. 1st time o was not diligent about watering 

43 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Sod is sheets of grass that's already growing.  It's established turf.  You can put it down anytime.  But like anything else you need to maintain it.  It's putting down grass that's had a head start versus trying to grow it from seed.

Planting in the fall allows whatever you are putting down to establish itself without the competition of weeds.  It also rains more in the fall, so that will help too.

@Kypesod is not your answer. Start from scratch with seed but like others said do it in September. Then follow up with additional seeding in the spring but make sure your ph is right to start with and you use starter fertilizer. Your lawn will be much healthier and less problematic than sod

Edited by Lunatic