Does anyone have nice grass?

31 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Sweet baby Jesus Tim. Before I read all this I would bet you don’t know how to start your mower 

I buy the cheapest Honda mower I can find.  Power nothing and with a mulching blade.

The photo above has my old mower.  Muffler fell off and the cutting deck cracked.  So I gave it to my neighbor.  It's been running well without an oil change for over 20 years.  Starts by the second pull.

Now go back and read every word of my post, bitch!

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Scott’s weed and feed; blue bag in early spring, yellow bag in late spring, orange bag in summer and red bag in fall. I’ve got the best lawn in the neighborhood. Retired last year, got rid of my landscaper and started this program. So far so good. 

Didn't do anything to mine until I retired.  Lived with stepping on bees on the clover, dandelions, and the bunny leaf weeds that kept the rabbits well fed.  Had to do something when creeping charlie and crabgrass took over.  Had to use herbicide to get rid of the ground ivy, reseed, then this spring had to kill the crabgrass that took over where I seeded before the grass took.  Areas of crabgrass turned into mud in the winter.  Just put new seed down a week ago and 10-10-10.  Sprayed half the lawn for another weed that sprung up all over out of nowhere, and starting to get control of the dandelion patches.  No rush.  I have a half acre and dogs so I do an area at a time, rotating areas for the dogs.  Not expecting a chem-lawn, but keeping the weeds under control before they take over everywhere.  Gives me something to do and spend money on before hunting season.  Going to use some weed and feed in the fall and lime it again.  Late winter I got a good deal at HD on $16 bags of pelletized lime for $1.70 each.  They had been buried under snow.  Plastic bags only wet on the outside.  

Your not going to get all the advice you need on here in a post. It's complicated.  If there is one piece of advice to give it's your choice of grass seed. I only use and have ever used Turf Type Tall Fescue. It is the hardiest grass you can have. Read up on lawn care. Once you have it under control, stay on top of it or it will get ahead of you. Grass can't flourish if weeds and crabgrass take over.  An underground sprinkler system is critical if you have a large lawn but do not overwater. It encourages shallow roots. If I had to recommend one type of lawn care product, it would be the Scotts Triple Action treatment in the Spring (twice about a month apart). This will fertilize, control crabgrass, and kill weeds at one time. A big time and money saver. This is by no means the whole story. You may have fungus diseases and insect issues during the hot summer months. As I said, it's a start. 

image.png.62817612ad8587f1bc992ebdd68589b6.png

Edited by archer36

My father had the right idea, when I was growing up down in the city we had a small yard and pop hated cutting grass. Now he was a hard working Hard core WWII Veteran but was also a mason, he decided one week while mom and us kids were on vacation to poor the entire yard in concrete, my mom was up set but dad's solution was to paint the concrete green. I guess that yard is still all concrete but have not seen it since I moved away in 1969.

Edited by bushden
11 minutes ago, bushden said:

My father had the right idea, when I was growing up down in the city we had a small yard and pop hated cutting grass. Now he was a hard working Hard core WWII but was also a mason, he decided one week while mom and us kids were on vacation to poor the entire yard in concrete, my mom was up set but dad's solution to paint the concrete green. I guess that yard is still all concrete but have not seen it since I moved away in 1969.

Taking care of grass is costly (in many ways) and not the best for the environment. Lots of chemicals and pesticides being dispersed that can get into the sewers and water supply. Until an acceptable form of property maintenance is invented, we are stuck with it. 

I bet playing in that backyard was easier with the concrete!

Edited by archer36
24 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Taking care of grass is costly (in many ways) and not the best for the environment. Lots of chemicals and pesticides being dispersed that can get into the sewars and water supply. Until an acceptable form of property maintenance is invented, we are stuck with it. 

I bet playing in that backyard was easier with the concrete!

We had some great picnics in that yard and barbecues were incredible cooking on the STONE Barbecue Grill that my Father built.

Edited by bushden

Grass lawns are an environmental abomination.   You all should be ashamed of yourselves.   

Lawns originated in Europe where the climate is wet and mild.   We don’t have the right climate for lawns here so we have to dump tons of crap and water on them to get them to grow.    

Just mow it and let nature fill in the plants that should be there.   If your lawn isn’t good habitat for rabbits and finches then I don’t like you anymore.