A little humor..

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

Ain’t no shame in that ! 

We all know that Whitetail can only be hunted effectively from a stand in most parts of the country and Canada. Elk and Mule Deer usually requires movement/spot and stalk. It's not that Whitetail hunters are lazy, they have to use the best tactic. There are fit and "unfit" hunters in all groups. The hunting doesn't make you that way. LOL

On 6/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, archer36 said:

We all know that Whitetail can only be hunted effectively from a stand in most parts of the country and Canada. Elk and Mule Deer usually requires movement/spot and stalk. It's not that Whitetail hunters are lazy, they have to use the best tactic. There are fit and "unfit" hunters in all groups. The hunting doesn't make you that way. LOL

Come on...I've been elk hunting for the past 25 years and elk hunters are WAY more fitness oriented than WT hunters.  On Western hunting forums, I belong to 3 of them, it's a common topic, how to get fit and fitter, as it's often repeated you can never be fit enough.  Threads like that are rare on NJWW, because any old fatty can kill a WT, you don't have to be in shape to have a good chance at killing a WT.  But on elk forums, threads are common about how the mountains kicked their butt this year and they're gonna start a serious fitness regimen so they can get up and down the mountains day after day without being in dire pain and giving up.  Are there some fatties that hunt cattle ranches and other gentle terrain and kill elk?  Yes.  But most folks that hunt mountainous terrain at elevation benefit greatly from a year around fitness regimen.  To hunt elk successfully in the mountains, you need to be naturally fit, (I've know a few that could out hike me uphill even though they never worked out and and I worked out extremely hard) or work hard at it like the other 99%.

42 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Come on...I've been elk hunting for the past 25 years and elk hunters are WAY more fitness oriented than WT hunters.  On Western hunting forums, I belong to 3 of them, it's a common topic, how to get fit and fitter, as it's often repeated you can never be fit enough.  Threads like that are rare on NJWW, because any old fatty can kill a WT, you don't have to be in shape to have a good chance at killing a WT.  But on elk forums, threads are common about how the mountains kicked their butt this year and they're gonna start a serious fitness regimen so they can get up and down the mountains day after day without being in dire pain and giving up.  Are there some fatties that hunt cattle ranches and other gentle terrain and kill elk?  Yes.  But most folks that hunt mountainous terrain at elevation benefit greatly from a year around fitness regimen.  To hunt elk successfully in the mountains, you need to be naturally fit, (I've know a few that could out hike me uphill even though they never worked out and and I worked out extremely hard) or work hard at it like the other 99%.

10 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Yeah, that's some easy elk hunting there, definitely not the norm, but there are private ranches and cattle ranches where the elk are plentiful and hunting is easy and costly.  Not my idea of fun.  But most folks hunt on public land, where you have to fight, scratch and claw for an elk.

25 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Yeah, that's some easy elk hunting there, definitely not the norm, but there are private ranches and cattle ranches where the elk are plentiful and hunting is easy and costly.  Not my idea of fun.  But most folks hunt on public land, where you have to fight, scratch and claw for an elk.

Been a long standing joke between guys that are on that video .

not only did she shoot a great bull , the following year she shot an even bigger one .

other guys were all over the ranch and didn’t get the opportunity she had just sitting lol

6 hours ago, njdoxie said:

totally agree and I only bowhunt whitetails in NJ and Ohio.   I try to stay fit - but "fit for hunting"  is NEVER the reason why. I have never once felt out of shape whitetail hunting even in steep ravines hills and hollers of Ohio where I hunt.    Serious hardcore Elk hunting would surely kick my ass without proper preparations and training.  I am 57 - can rapid walk 10 miles without breaking a sweat and climb most hills, but probably can't run a mile or more.    Hardcore elk is a different league. 

16 hours ago, njdoxie said:

Yeah, that's basically what I said with 80% less words. LOL

Edited by archer36