Previously Unknown (to me) Surf Fluke Fishing Technique

I saw a guy the other day at Sandy Hook fishing for fluke with a dobber. He had the biggest dobber I ever saw, almost as big as a baseball.  About five feet of line below with a half ounce split shot. (I never saw a split shot that big either) He had a killy for bait. He was catching short fluke one after another. He told me he caught a 21" fluke like that the day before.

When I was walking back to my truck I found an enormous dobber like he was using. I'm going again on Thursday. I think I will try his technique with that dobber. I don't want to hump a bucket of killys on the beach so I will use Gulp.

26 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

I saw a guy the other day at Sandy Hook fishing for fluke with a dobber. He had the biggest dobber I ever saw, almost as big as a baseball.  About five feet of line below with a half ounce split shot. (I never saw a split shot that big either) He had a killy for bait. He was catching short fluke one after another. He told me he caught a 21" fluke like that the day before.

When I was walking back to my truck I found an enormous dobber like he was using. I'm going again on Thursday. I think I will try his technique with that dobber. I don't want to hump a bucket of killys on the beach so I will use Gulp.

No need to bring a bucket.  Old lunch mate cooler ice pack and a rag.  Put the damp rag between ice or ice pack and killies they will last all day

On 6/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, Greg said:

seen similar set up with an older guy at graveling point sometime ago. casted out and let the current take it right around the point and was hooking up pretty good.

I used to do that at Gravling years ago. The fluke kind of disappeared from there once the horseshoe crabs went away. The horseshoe crabs attracted lots of baitfish.