IGNORED

Bass Tournament Mortality

Mink

Well, that might be for tournaments but but certainly is not with me, I have always been a catch and release immediately fisherman, I have had my share of deep hooked fish and have always did my best to even release them carefully with as little distress as possible.

I guess the 65%  could be possible for the tournament hungry guys who rough the fish in spend untold time taking their pictures and weighing them in later. To them boys I say shame on you if you are not  doing your best to minimize the mortality. I know many who fish and release responsibly and to the guys who do not care about anything but the fame well that's a slap on thm

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Wow!

Very interesting!

I tournament bass fish for a central jersey club since 1997 

this video was very informative 

interesting stats how tournament fishermen vs catch release fishermen affect relatively same mortality due to the effort quotient-for every 1 tournament fishermen there are 4 catch and release fishermen. 

also interesting to see that Pro formats like MLF that release bass immediately but strategize to catch high #s in one day on the water can have more adverse affects than a weigh in format like BASS who can tend to strategize by “saving fish for the next tournament day”

as shown in video....high water temp of +77 degrees is a major index as a key contributing factor to mortality 

He stated much of the data is pre 2007 and better technology is used in tournaments like improvements w livewells n water additives

I believe most big lakes can support tournaments n catch and release fishing plus people who intentionally harvest bass for food....he said that only 5% of bass are caught at Sam Rayburn on any given year...

As conservations we should all do our best for fish care....if anything should be done maybe it’s that tournament bag limits can be lowered from five to say 3 when water temps climb above 77 degrees...I will speak to my club about this

thanks for sharing and I will follow more of this guys data

51 minutes ago, bushden said:

Well, that might be for tournaments but but certainly is not with me, I have always been a catch and release immediately fisherman, I have had my share of deep hooked fish and have always did my best to even release them carefully with as little distress as possible.

I guess the 65%  could be possible for the tournament hungry guys who rough the fish in spend untold time taking their pictures and weighing them in later. To them boys I say shame on you if you are not  doing your best to minimize the mortality. I know many who fish and release responsibly and to the guys who do not care about anything but the fame well that's a slap on thm

I believe the video showed that studies indicate catch n release fishermen have relatively the same affect on mortality than tournament guys based of the effort quotient....for every 1 bass tournament guy there are 4 catch n release guys. 

I agree we all need to practice better fish care .... I think social media has had adverse affects on mortality....you should see guys laying bass on grass, dirt, pavement etc n taking selfie’s w fish covered in dirt just to show they are “Bassmasters” is very disturbing 

Something else to think about is the use of plastics. Not my photo, but shows a bass that had swallowed plastics and was literally starving to death because they were logged in her intestines.bass-plastics.jpg.537cac4ace745ea2426d6eabbe493ac6.jpg

Edited by FLDBRED-BDC

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting