28 gauge for pheasant

JD48

1 hour ago, JD48 said:

agree , i see a lot of call for 30 inch barrels now a days , even in 16 , 20 and 28 gauges , when i was a kid , 30 inch was the standard , with the theory it would shoot farther

Well my Dad used a Beretta Silver Hawk (SxS) 12 ga with 30" barrels as his everything gun. Shot Quail to Deer effectively with it. Choked M/F. 

8 minutes ago, Sako76 said:

I would suggest a 20 ga., ammo is way cheaper and probably a lot easier to find.  I used to get a case of quail and dove loads for $50, not anymore.

I do have a 20 gauge , smith and wesson gold elite sxs , only made for a few years ( have a letter from s & w only 2500 made ) will use this year , usually use a 16 gauge sxs

get the itch every year to buy a 28 gauge o/u for pheasant ( state and preserve birds ) over a Brittany , been looking at  , franchi , berreta , rizzini , as you get older , its more of the challenge , then the kill , but dont want to wound a bunch either or be under gunned , your thoughts and advice
My buddy has a remington wingmaster in 28ga. Factory modified 28" barrel. Shoots to tight for quail, but hammers pheasents no problem out to 40 yards. I have shot a few birds with it. Solid performer!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

No better ga. You’ll never be under gunned and shoot game up less at the same time. I’ve used one about exclusively for 30 plus years. 
Best ga for kids as well due to easy recoil. 
Far as guns, I’ve got 2 pigeons, they’re super light, almost whippy. I’m a beretta fan so don’t mistake what I’m saying but Brownings are better balanced, better swinging guns in .28 imo. 
Now before the craziness starts about chokes, imp cylinder often skeet or ic with spreader chokes is best over a dog unless it’s an out of control dog. Surely a pointing dog. 
If you’re unsure about that go ic in lower barrel, mod in top but shoot the ic at clay birds and see how far you can break one. You’ll be surprised there’s no difference from your 20. Same on game

Guys regarding some of the guns mentioned and I’m saying it only for consideration. The red label stock drops too much, least for me and everyone I’ve ever seen. Lots of the older guns also have that issue. Check the drop to be sure it works. Also the pigeons lop is long for some. Be advised of that.

The tri star doesn’t shoot straight very often. It stems from doubles needing to be worked so the barrels over lap. Cheap guns don’t have extra care/adjustments  given 

i had a 28 gauge years ago , Remington model 11- 48 auto , another one of those guns that i should not have gotten rid of , also had a Ruger red label 20 ga. , could never hit anything with it , an old guy told me a long time ago that there was a lot of drop in the stock in the older guns because everyone wore fedora hats when hunting back then , who knows ?

1 hour ago, JD48 said:

i had a 28 gauge years ago , Remington model 11- 48 auto , another one of those guns that i should not have gotten rid of , also had a Ruger red label 20 ga. , could never hit anything with it , an old guy told me a long time ago that there was a lot of drop in the stock in the older guns because everyone wore fedora hats when hunting back then , who knows ?

Yeah, if I had a few guns I sold years ago I would be a happy man. Prices went way up.