Benelli sbe3

Cj1187

Does anybody have any input on the super black eagle 3? I keep reading about them shooting super high.  Was wondering if thats the actual case with them. 

Unless you really need the 3.5” chamber, I’d recommend the Benelli M2. Mine cycles the lightest of target loads up to the heaviest 3” turkey and goose loads perfectly every time.  Point of impact is also spot on.  I’ve never felt like I was at a disadvantage using 3” shells versus 3.5”

Posted (edited)

I've been eyeing the SBE3 for a couple months now - I'm trying to decide between the Franchi Affinity 3.5 or the SBE3 (Franchi is so much cheaper in price that I'm having a hard time justifying the SBE3... but I'm trying :))

SBE3 shoots high apparently (from all the people complaining about it - though I can't get a definitive answer about how "high" it shoots - some people claim 80/20, others 70/30, others 60/40 - can't get a straight answer what Benelli wants it to be out of the factory either) but the Franchi doesn't have the new bolt system that the SBE3 has that solves the "benelli click" (I specially asked the Franchi customer support about that - they told me that, between the two, it is only the SBE3 that has that new bolt system, so the Franchi is still exposed to a potential "benelli click").

I'm thinking I'm still going to get the SBE3, even though people claim it shoots high. The reason being is I'm already used to floating the target above the bead. I like seeing the target fully, so I can't remember a time I ever purposefully put the bead directly on the target in flight. So I have a feeling (for me) the SBE3 might actually shoot better for me.

Edited by mazzgolf

I have SBE and SBE2 had to pattern change shims and pattern but both of mine are on target no problems, I know my SBE shot low I don’t remember if 2 was high or low.  Reading about SBE3 opinions are all over the place about shooting high and others say their gun is fine

20 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Why would anyone pay that kind of money for a gun and have to dick around with it to make it shoot straight ?  Just doesn’t make sense to me . But to each his own I guess . 

I'm not convinced you do have to do that.... So many people have different complaints that sometimes i think it's just an echo chamber...

If a gun is 60/40 or even closer to 70/30... That is shooting straight if you are a shooter that floats the target.

I will say I'm hesitant to pay that kind of money without me knowing exactly what I'm getting. Am i getting a gun that really does shoot abnormally high? Or a gun that fits my shooting style? But i guess that's the same kind of question you have to ask regardless of the gun.

1 minute ago, mazzgolf said:

I'm not convinced you do have to do that.... So many people have different complaints that sometimes i think it's just an echo chamber...

If a gun is 60/40 or even closer to 70/30... That is shooting straight if you are a shooter that floats the target.

I will say I'm hesitant to pay that kind of money without me knowing exactly what I'm getting. Am i getting a gun that really does shoot abnormally high? Or a gun that fits my shooting style? But i guess that's the same kind of question you have to ask regardless of the gun.

Would be nice to test shoot first like you can with a bow before you buy . 

I had never heard of SBE shooting high or low when I bought my original, but I shot 3 deer on drives  and front legs were all shot up, 2 of the deer had both front legs broke, I called Benelli and they told me to change shims and asked my height and told me what shim to use that was in 1996 or 1997 

I have the SBE 11 and SBE3. Both guns and wickedly dead on. I beat the living piss out of my SBE 11. Smooth recoil. (Inertia) driven unlike gas, and insane in bad weather. Benelli puts the SBEs through some serious testing before they go out the door. Fit and finish is flawless.

I would recommend having the gunsmith check the rib or front bead, if it was hit, or compressed or dropped hard this may have an effect. I am however not a huge fan of Benelli’s choke tubes..