Jump to content

Any pool installers???????


mattg1500
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bushden said:

He said I need to excavate about 10" to level it out.

The pool has to be level so he either takes out 10" or adds 10" to make it level, LEVEL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE INSTALLATION.

Yes but you are not excavating or filling the entire area. If it’s not level it means one side is high and one low. Consequently you have to cut 10” on one outer age to zero in the middle. In fact if you cut 5” one one side and throw it to raise the other side by 5 inches you are done. 
if you take out 10” on the entire footprint of the pool you are back to not being level. 

Edited by Lunatic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Yes but you are not excavating or filling the entire area. If it’s not level it means one side is high and one low. Consequently you have to cut 10” on one outer age to zero in the middle. In fact if you cut 5” one one side and throw it to raise the other side by 5 inches you are done. 
if you take out 10” on the entire footprint of the pool you are back to not being level. 

Its best to level from the lowest end to the highest not from the center otherwise you will have to add dirt to the outside of the pool footprint to taper it to the existing surrounding area. That is the simplest way.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, bushden said:

Its best to level from the lowest end to the highest not from the center otherwise you will have to add dirt to the outside of the pool footprint to taper it to the existing surrounding area. That is the simplest way.

 

You do this if you like to work hard, not smart. With any excavation job you want cut equal to fill, what we call in construction balancing the site. Otherwise you have nothing but problems, cost and huge amount of work. The way you want to do it you end up with 2.5 cy or almost 4 tons of dirt to dispose of on a 20’ dia pool. Cut=fill wins every time 

Edited by Lunatic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

You do this if you like to work hard, not smart. With any excavation job you want cut equal to fill, what we call in construction balancing the site. Otherwise you have nothing but problems, cost and huge amount of work. The way you want to do it you end up with 5 cy or almost 8 tons of dirt to dispose of on a 20’ dia pool. Cut=fill wins every time 

The last one I did at my own home was in a yard that went down hill I took the dirt I cut from the high end  and distributed it outside the pool perimeter on the low end. It came out great and I had nothing to dispose of. I am not a contractor just a Joe who did his own and it came out good.

Edited by bushden
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

You do this if you like to work hard, not smart. With any excavation job you want cut equal to fill, what we call in construction balancing the site. Otherwise you have nothing but problems, cost and huge amount of work. The way you want to do it you end up with 2.5 cy or almost 4 tons of dirt to dispose of on a 20’ dia pool. Cut=fill wins every time 

Everything says not to fill. Once it settles it will not be level. Thats why in construction we have settling cracks lol o did that on our last pool and that was only 6" out. Bitch sunk like the titanic on the fill side after 6000gal of water on it for a few weeks. Had it tamped and let it sit a week before assembly. Wont do that again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, bushden said:

The last one I did at my own home was in a yard that went down hill I took the dirt I cut from the high end  and distributed it outside the pool perimeter on the low end. It came out great and I had nothing to dispose of. I am not a contractor just a Joe who did his own and it came out good.

But think about it. Smart not hard. If you placed you excavation from high end to low end you would only have to excavate 50% of what you did. If You need to fill little more on the outside of low end you filled, you just dig another 1” to generate more material. Balance cut and fill saves time, money or work. Nothing wrong with the way you did it for the integrity of your pool but you did 50% more work than you had to. 
no big deal, it’s just time to us weekend worriers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't fill.  Like matt said, ground will compact over time more than you can compact it before setting it up.   Had a backhoe dig one end out and fill the other, then run it over and over.  Twice took the pool back down to re -level it.  Used to help my father take his down every year and put it back up.  It was only a 13ft x3'.  Mine was 24ft x4' and I had the center at 5'.  I put patio blocks on top of the sand around the outside to set the frame on, then put in more sand to round up the inside corners.  It was down below a drop off so I built a 24'x20' deck coming off the high ground to the pool cap.  It was like having an inground pool.  Vacuuming it was taking up my Saturdays and keeping it clear was costly for the amount it got used.  Last couple years it got used once or twice, so I took it all down.  Wife still complains she wants a pool when we get a 90* day.  No frikn' way!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Don't fill.  Like matt said, ground will compact over time more than you can compact it before setting it up.   Had a backhoe dig one end out and fill the other, then run it over and over.  Twice took the pool back down to re -level it.  Used to help my father take his down every year and put it back up.  It was only a 13ft x3'.  Mine was 24ft x4' and I had the center at 5'.  I put patio blocks on top of the sand around the outside to set the frame on, then put in more sand to round up the inside corners.  It was down below a drop off so I built a 24'x20' deck coming off the high ground to the pool cap.  It was like having an inground pool.  Vacuuming it was taking up my Saturdays and keeping it clear was costly for the amount it got used.  Last couple years it got used once or twice, so I took it all down.  Wife still complains she wants a pool when we get a 90* day.  No frikn' way!

Here is how I did it and it was minimal work. My ground was high one side, low the other “. First you need to do, regardless if you excavating or filling, you need to strip the topsoil. Topsoil morning s organic and it will decay and settle a good amount.  I did, 4” from the footprint of the pool and it gave me almost 2 cy of topsoil for back fill. Poolsshould be set on sand layer so I ordered a load and filled it to level. The high side ended up with 2” and the low side with 6”. Then I contain the side with 6” with topsoil I stripped in step one. This way I did not end up with filling any area with regular soil which will settle unless you compact it mechanically and the sand will not settle to any noticeable amount as long as the edges are contained. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 2021 Season Countdowns

    • NJ Crow Season Opens
      08/09/2021 5:31AM EDT
    • NJ Early Bow Season Opens
      09/11/2021 6:04AM EDT
    • NJ Fall Bow Season Opens
      10/02/2021 6:25AM EDT
  • Help Support NJ Woods & Water

    • paypal-donate-button

      njwaw-premium-membership-button

      shop-at-amazon-button
  • 2021 New Jersey Turkey Hunting Information



  • 2021 Youth Turkey Hunting Contest

  • 2021 Adult Turkey Hunting Contest

×
×
  • Create New...