Hunting season is over, and I managed to get 2 years out of my LaCrosse $160 rubber boots :whatever: (and that second year, I had to pump marine epoxy every now and then into the cracks that developed to try and stop the leaks). These rubber boots replaced my $110 11-month old Cabelas rubber boots that I had to return on warranty because they leaked. And those replaced 2-year old $100 rubber boots that leaked.

Suffice it to say, I'm soured on rubber boots. I hate paying over $100 on boots that just leak after a year or two. I love the concept of rubber boots, and when they aren't leaking, they are great and I prefer them. But at the price they sell for, and how crappy their quality is, I'm going to see if I can try something else.

I originally thought I would just go to tractor supply and buy cheap rubber boots and if they leak, well, that's expected if I just pay $50 or $60. But then I thought - I wonder what other boots are out there that are at least some kind of waterproof but won't crack and leak like rubber boots.

So - I'm asking why kind of non-rubber boots do you all wear and are they any kind of waterproof and do they last more than a couple years? I need them for just walking through ankle-to-shin deep water (you know, puddles along dirt roads or swampy areas around ponds and creeks).

For waterproof, rubber is your only choice.  For water resistant, then you have all sorts of options.  Owning a river restoration, pond and wetlands construction company, we wear Muck boots and wear them out in about two seasons and just replace them as needed.  Wish there were a cheaper way, but we have yet to find one if there is.  Like you, I need to be waterproof above my ankles, so knee high Mucks do the trick.  

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

So - I'm asking why kind of non-rubber boots do you all wear and are they any kind of waterproof and do they last more than a couple years? I need them for just walking through ankle-to-shin deep water (you know, puddles along dirt roads or swampy areas around ponds and creeks).

Lacrosse 16" Alpha Lite Boots Mossy Oak  5mm Boots are my go to boot for NJ and have been for about the past 15 years. I get about 4 years out of them and have never paid more than $80. Best deals are beginning o the season when lacrosse discounts these boots, I have found them locally at Sportsman Center (closed now) Cabelas, and EBAY. If you look on the internet you can get a good price and they are warm enough for any NJ weather and fairly lite for walking. The also have wide calf openings for men with big legs.

Here the are on Ebay right now $69.95 plus shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383982782679?

zzzzzzzzzjpg.jpg

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

I get great service out of all my muck boots , but I have had two soles come off different pairs over the year .

My normal work boots are composite Carolina boots . They have def been pretty waterproof and are extremely comfortable 

I stopped using Muck because of price, and fit. lacrosse Alpha Lite are more durable and have wide calf which makes tucking heavy pants in easy.

This Turkey season I used Crispi hunting boots. These are regular hunting, non insulated boots. The key to regular boots is boot gaiters. I walked through miles of knee high wet grass and I was always dry, including my pants. I may not go back to rubber boots. I’m not crazy about Crispi boots but one thing they did is to keep me dry in very wet conditions. Gaiters will keep your boots clean and your pants dry with any goretex boots. I don’t know why more people in NJ don’t use gaiters 

45 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I don’t know why more people in NJ don’t use gaiters 

They are just one more thing I have to buy and remember to put on in the morning. :wink: But... that is a good idea.

1 hour ago, electric10162 said:

My mistake....it was @archer36. See the link

I remember that original post The mucks are the lightest but the calf openings are to tight when worn  with heavy pants and insulated underwear, The Lacrosse give you more room and are cheaper that why I went with them

4 hours ago, bushden said:

I remember that original post The mucks are the lightest but the calf openings are to tight when worn  with heavy pants and insulated underwear, The Lacrosse give you more room and are cheaper that why I went with them

Im not using them for hunting. Only used around my farm with jeans or work pants tucked in. You are right though.....you can't tuck insulated  hunting pants in them.