Poult spotted

1 hour ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I would think this cold hard rain killed more.  Every year we get cold rain at such a critical time for poults and fawns

So 2 days of rain with cools temps is going to kill a lot of poults ?  Are they that sensitive to bad weather .  

Just now, Russ 11 said:

So 2 days of rain with cools temps is going to kill a lot of poults ?  Are they that sensitive to bad weather .  

I dont know how true but i read the first week from birth is a critical time for babies.  I think they usually develop pneumonia and die.  But raccoons, fox, coyotes, bobcats, house cats, birds of prey, etc. take a toll too.  The odds are against them

Just now, Gobblengrunt said:

I dont know how true but i read the first week from birth is a critical time for babies.  I think they usually develop pneumonia and die.  But raccoons, fox, coyotes, bobcats, house cats, birds of prey, etc. take a toll too.  The odds are against them

I get the predator issue but didn’t know that a couple days of crappy weather would put a hurting on them . And yes totally agree the odds are definitely not in their favor . 

I read something by a Nwtf sponsored biologist said something like 24 hours at 50° being wet from a good rain And hypothermia sets in on young poults.  I have read data from New York that stated in late May when they’ve had big cold front come through after a rain that they lose a lot of day-old Chicks to weather.   Everything is out to get them   Amazing any make it   Regardless numbers are way down  from 15 years ago. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

Hypothermia 

this past weekend’s cool temps and relentless wet weather would have been brutal to any poults recently hatched.....

there’s only so much room for poults to fit “under Mom’s wing” for shelter and body warmth...probably the weaker ones get pushed to the edge of her wings and eventually succumb to the elements 

I think it’s guna be the Dark Ages for turkeys for a few years and we all should traps some varmints off the deer and bear bait piles next late winter....we have been growing and feeding Super Varmints with bait piles behind every tree for many years!!  

They don’t have to travel for food & risk getting picked off by avian and canid predators....they just colonize near a deer/bear bait site and fatten up, making it thru their winter easy squeezy!!  Their offspring are corn fed and in top health condition upon entry to the ecosystem....etc etc

i plan on chatting w some fellas that hunt some similar ground and forming some type of trapping stewardship/Co-op so it’s not too time consuming on everyone’s schedule....each guy checks the traps on certain days and resets em....

With the lack of turkeys this spring coupled with a likely hatch failure....predator control is that much more exponentially important!!

Edited by Bonefreak