Good book

Lunatic

As a kid I devoured books but as an adult I could never find time for it. Things changed about 6 years ago when I discovered audiobooks. Now I look foreword to commuting, and driving in general, as my car became my library. I read/listen to non-fiction only. Fascinated with American History I read few dozen books covering everything from Pilgrims on Mayflower through WWII. Then Espionage books like Million dollar man, few mobster books, special forces,  and many books on triumph against huge odds. 
It is getting more and more difficult to find books that look interesting so what are you reading or read? Lets have some recommendations!

I just finished The Boys in The Boat by DJ Brown. Great story of 9  underprivileged  boys beating incredible odds all the way to Gold at 1936, Berlin Olympics. 

image.png.6529566b0e010436faa3ccf5dbd3bc61.png

17 minutes ago, james7 said:

With my long commute I agree audiobookS have been awesome way to make driving time “productive” in a way. 

“Read” this one not too long ago it’s an amazing story to say the least

3AF022C5-2A92-46E5-A544-57D56F7090E2.jpeg

Love audiobooks & I SECOND THIS! I just finished the hard copy of this and while I usually struggle to keep interest through a book I couldn't put it down.  It is an absolutely incredible story about perseverance & survival. Very worth the read or listen.

Posted (edited)

IN THE HEART OF THE SEA by Nathaniel Philbrick.

it is about the sinking of the whale ship Essex which was attacked by a rogue whale ,and then sunk in minutes ,leaving the crew alone in 18 foot boats in the middle of the pacific.

Herman Melville based Moby Dick off of the story ( you should listen to both by the way...this is a true American classic ) Whaling is American history at its core..without the whaling industry New England couldn’t have survived .

Edited by flukebelly

55 minutes ago, james7 said:

With my long commute I agree audiobookS have been awesome way to make driving time “productive” in a way. 

“Read” this one not too long ago it’s an amazing story to say the least

3AF022C5-2A92-46E5-A544-57D56F7090E2.jpeg

Yes good book, I read it along with South, Alone in the Ice, Fatal North, In the Kingdom of Ice The Terror, Endurance and few others fascinating books on Arctic early exploration  

22 minutes ago, flukebelly said:

IN THE HEART OF THE SEA by Nathaniel Philbrick.

it is about the sinking of the whale ship Essex which was attacked by a rogue whale ,and then sunk in minutes ,leaving the crew alone in 18 foot boats in the middle of the pacific.

Herman Melville based Moby Dick off of the story ( you should listen to both by the way...this is a true American classic ) Whaling is American history at its core..without the whaling industry New England couldn’t have survived .

Yes, good book.
Read this one recently  

In the Wake of Madness -

The ordeal of the whaleship Essex was an event as mythic in the nineteenth century as the sinking of the Titanic was in the twentieth. In 1819 the Essex left Nantucket for the South Pacific with 20 crew members aboard. In the middle of the South Pacific, the ship was rammed and sunk by an angry sperm whale. The crew drifted for more than 90 days in three tiny whaleboats, succumbing to weather, hunger, and disease and ultimately turning to drastic measures in the fight for survival.

Nathaniel Philbrick uses little-known documents, including a long-lost account written by the ship's cabin boy, and penetrating details about whaling and the Nantucket community to reveal the chilling events surrounding this epic maritime disaster. An intense and mesmerizing read, In the Heart of the Sea is a monumental work of history forever placing the Essex tragedy in the American historical canon.

2 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

I borrowed this book from Mike Meekins (Meekins Air Service) in Alaska as I was leaving. I finished it on my flight home and mailed it back to him. I read a lot and really enjoyed this one.

KOYUKUK.jpg

Thanks, I did not read this one yet

30 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Yes good book, I read it along with South, Alone in the Ice, Fatal North, In the Kingdom of Ice The Terror, Endurance and few others fascinating books on Arctic early exploration  

I’ll have to check some of those out

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  Couldn't put it down once I started reading.  Skip the changed for hollywood movie.  

image.png.fd52aeac3e670b843e5798b042513120.png

Unbroken is a Must read. I could not put it down. Japs were subhuman and anyone thinking dropping the A bomb was wrong should read it. Great, great book!!!

Edited by Lunatic

One of my all time favs is the Iliad.  I probably  read that book at least 5 Times.

The Odyssey  which follows the Iliad is also good

There is  3rd book which ties in to the 2 above that few know about- called the Anead.

The defeated Trojans- all who were left sailed for Italy and their Greatest Warrior- Aineas founded Rome as their new Capital. 

Hannibal is a very good book based on the Brilliant  man of Carthage. 

I have 25 or so books on ww1 fighter aces of both sides.

A few good books on the Red Baron as well. WW1 leading Fighter Ace of both sides with 80 Planes shot down.

And many others on diverse topics.

I believe,  I  have over 50 Books on Turkey Hunting. Some are worth many hundreds of dollars.