16 GAUGE

JD48

4 hours ago, RPK0620 said:

I normally hunt with my AH Fox Sterlingworth ~  A grade ~ 16 gauge made in 1936 with 2 3/4" chambers also.  I have 2 others sterlingworths, one made in 1918 with 2 3/4" chambers and  one made in 1927 with 2 1/2" chambers and a Parker VH made in 1915 with 2 1/2" chambers. They do get a day afield each year because that's what they were made for.

With the older side by sides it is important to know the chamber length. A gun with 2 1/2" chambers will shoot a 2 3/4" shell however the recoil will be harder and you could be damaging the gun.

Recently an old timer from the mid-west told me that he only uses paper cartridges in his older guns because the open easier in the freezing cold weather he hunts in. He said that the plastic shells harden up in the cold and don't open as easily as the paper ones.

I buy all my shells from RST for my all my guns, they have the paper shells and lighter loads and various sizes for the older guns. http://www.rstshells.com

Yep RST is the way to go been using them for years.

21 hours ago, JD48 said:

mid 50s were a great era for the sweet sixteen , as time went on they started to cut back on the engraving a little , the red / brown finish is desired , which you have , a little info , early ones like yours have the butt plate made out of buffalo horn , worms , dont know what kind , have been known to get in there and bore threw the plate , sounds strange , but ive seen examples of it , taking the plate off , and apply a very thin coat of wd -40 ( side that meets wood ) will correct / protect it

Thanks, JD ... I will remove it. That butt plate is another cool thing about this gun.

It's been a real long time since I've bought any gun, but I've always admired the A5 (John Browning, too), this was nice one, and a fair price from some nice people. The gun was well used, but I saw that it was also well maintained when I opened it up.

It's cool ... I kinda sense, or hear, or feel the action cycling when I shoot it.

14 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

Thanks, JD ... I will remove it. That butt plate is another cool thing about this gun.

It's been a real long time since I've bought any gun, but I've always admired the A5 (John Browning, too), this was nice one, and a fair price from some nice people. The gun was well used, but I saw that it was also well maintained when I opened it up.

It's cool ... I kinda sense, or hear, or feel the action cycling when I shoot it.

glad to be of help Jim , there is nothing better than the sound of a A5 cycling , another thing , when you break it down and put back together , you have to make sure the wooden lip on the forearm is seated properly to the receiver , will crack forearm if not . dont know if you got any paperwork with gun , but , Rediscovered Shooting Treasures , prints reproductions of old gun manuals and hang tags , cool stuff , well made , bought from many times , enjoy your sweet sixteen