16 GAUGE

JD48

5 minutes ago, toxo said:

Love the 16 gauge! Very popular in Europe. I have a Sweet 16 but my go to is an old Marlin Model 90 over and under. Great for smaller game birds as well as Pheasant.:up:

marlin 90 16 ga. , another gun i always wanted , they are around , but going for a good buck nowadays , marlin made them for sears also , think they called it the ranger , 1st american made over and under , rare ones are the rifle / shotgun combo

2 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

I use my  AH Fox 16 gauge A grade for all my upland hunting. Probably my favorite gun.

I normally hunt with my AH Fox Sterlingworth ~  A grade ~ 16 gauge made in 1936 with 2 3/4" chambers also.  I have 2 others sterlingworths, one made in 1918 with 2 3/4" chambers and  one made in 1927 with 2 1/2" chambers and a Parker VH made in 1915 with 2 1/2" chambers. They do get a day afield each year because that's what they were made for.

With the older side by sides it is important to know the chamber length. A gun with 2 1/2" chambers will shoot a 2 3/4" shell however the recoil will be harder and you could be damaging the gun.

Recently an old timer from the mid-west told me that he only uses paper cartridges in his older guns because the open easier in the freezing cold weather he hunts in. He said that the plastic shells harden up in the cold and don't open as easily as the paper ones.

I buy all my shells from RST for my all my guns, they have the paper shells and lighter loads and various sizes for the older guns. http://www.rstshells.com

1 hour ago, OldPiney Woods said:

I have two 16 gauge double guns I hunt with. Citori Feather Superlight O/U and a Lefever Nitro Special SxS. Both guns are just a little over 6 pounds. Like they say “ carries like a 20 but hits like a 12 “.

nitro special , made by ithaca , real work horse

8 minutes ago, smittty said:

I injoy carrying a 28 ga for birds on a small frame of course 

i was giving that some thought , as i get older , you know the deal , what are you shooting o/u ? i thought i heard they have 28 ga. in 3 inch chambers , true ?

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, smittty said:

I injoy carrying a 28 ga for birds on a small frame of course 

Same here.  Rizzini.  Just received these in the mail today.   Should be set for awhile this fall. 

4E7115DE-6735-418C-9E49-B55F3E43AF54.jpeg

Edited by MikeStaten

21 minutes ago, JD48 said:

i was giving that some thought , as i get older , you know the deal , what are you shooting o/u ? i thought i heard they have 28 ga. in 3 inch chambers , true ?

They do make some in 3” and I think you can get 1 1/8 oz loads but at that point I’d just get a 20 gauge and save money on ammo.  

34 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

They do make some in 3” and I think you can get 1 1/8 oz loads but at that point I’d just get a 20 gauge and save money on ammo.  

i was looking at the rizzini very nice gun , also franchi , alot of mixed reviews , you know as you get older you have the money for the toys , but how much should  you invest in something that might be used for a short period of time

4 minutes ago, JD48 said:

i was looking at the rizzini very nice gun , also franchi , alot of mixed reviews , you know as you get older you have the money for the toys , but how much should  you invest in something that might be used for a short period of time

I have the Rizzini BR110 and like it a lot.  Fit and finish is great for the price.  They are under $2k new

5 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I have the Rizzini BR110 and like it a lot.  Fit and finish is great for the price.  They are under $2k new

looked at them online , great looking gun