IGNORED

Sterno and Bacon Burns

LittleM

Never tried it.  Never even tried to light a Sterno can, ever.  Is it a PIA to get lit?  I plan to use one of those grill starters.  If the Sterno gets real cold or even frozen (if it can even freeze) is it more difficult or even impossible to get lit?  I plan on firing one up about mid-morning on the first day, so it will be sitting on the ground till then, potentially in sub-freezing temps, before I light it.  Any thoughts?

I might have to get TroutandBucks to burn some bacon on the opener.  I've never done it myself, but I know many who swear by it.  Sure can't hurt.  

On a similar note, we put out our bait barrel just the other day and this morning it was tore up according to Mike (TandB).  I was busy on the other side of the property with my youth shotgun deer hunter and never went over to pull the SD card to see who was paying us visits so far.  Let's hope they stick around through 6 Day.....  

Regarding your similar note - most of the bears I had showing up were MIA this past week except for the white-blaze bear who only came middle of the night.  I am prolly being out-baited by the neighbors, given I only use corn, apples, and pears.  No sweets.  Oh well, I don't need a bear that bad, but maybe burning cured/smoked meats will put me over the top.

Regarding your similar note - most of the bears I had showing up were MIA this past week except for the white-blaze bear who only came middle of the night.  I am prolly being out-baited by the neighbors, given I only use corn, apples, and pears.  No sweets.  Oh well, I don't need a bear that bad, but maybe burning cured/smoked meats will put me over the top.

Put out some of your jerky.  I'd come running to it if I was a bear.  That's some good stuff.   :up:

You can think of it as baiting for bears or just simply lunch in your stand :)