Clinton WMA Rifle Range

smungung

Hey, has anyone been over to the Clinton wma shooting range lately? Heard it got extremely crowded there from covid panic buyers. If you did go over there, when’d you go, how crowded was it, and was it a weekday or weekend when you went? Thanks 

I was there on Friday evening 630 ish (only 2 other guys shooting 22's) and again on Sunday evening at around 730 (no one was around).  

Make sure you have a hunting license (at least the sign says you need one :up:) . 

It was a mess when we went on Sunday with a bunch of used targets and crap laying all over, so my kids and I just cleaned it up and kept what we could reuse.

42 minutes ago, Tuck said:

I was there on Friday evening 630 ish (only 2 other guys shooting 22's) and again on Sunday evening at around 730 (no one was around).  

Make sure you have a hunting license (at least the sign says you need one :up:) . 

It was a mess when we went on Sunday with a bunch of used targets and crap laying all over, so my kids and I just cleaned it up and kept what we could reuse.

Awesome thank you so much, yup I got my hunting license. Did you see if there’s any target stands for paper targets there? I hear sometimes they’ll be out on the range but sometimes they won’t.

From NJ DFW website ...

The following rules apply to the Clinton and Makepeace Lake Ranges ONLY:

All target frames must measure a minimum 30 inches from base to the bottom of the paper target held in the frame. Frames must be placed only on top of a target mound located at the 25, 50 and 100 yard lines. This minimum target height requirement will eliminate the risk of ricochet and ensure that all projectiles are collected in the berm behind the 100 yard target.

Shooters may supply their own frames which meet the above specifications.

Spinner type targets for .177 and .22 caliber firearms MUST be placed directly at the base of the 25-yard berm to direct all bullets into the berm. These targets are not to be used at other yardage or target mound placements.

Have fun

Question regard this range and the other WMA rifle ranges.. Can you shoot 7.62? On their site the rules state "Centerfire Rifle includes all firearms listed above for muzzleloading and centerfire rifles for up to and including .30 caliber." Technically I believe 7.62x39mm is .008 larger than .30 caliber. I know this may be splitting hairs but we are talking about NJ here..

7 hours ago, JR8899 said:

Question regard this range and the other WMA rifle ranges.. Can you shoot 7.62? On their site the rules state "Centerfire Rifle includes all firearms listed above for muzzleloading and centerfire rifles for up to and including .30 caliber." Technically I believe 7.62x39mm is .008 larger than .30 caliber. I know this may be splitting hairs but we are talking about NJ here..

I think you answered your question lol 

I’ve been lately. It’s hit or miss. I only go during the week. Weekends are nuts, even first thing in the morning. It’s definitely busier than it used to be. I haven’t had a day since they redid the range where it was only me, where it used to be a normal thing during the week. However, most days during the week it’s only me and 1 or 2 other guys. Been tons of rifle shooters lately (AR platforms). I’m sure that has to do with the uptick in usage. 

15 hours ago, JR8899 said:

Buddy of mine contacted DEP via email and they actually said even 9mm is allowed which is nuts. I think to them “including .30” might mean anything less than .40 in truth.

1 hour ago, smungung said:

Buddy of mine contacted DEP via email and they actually said even 9mm is allowed which is nuts. I think to them “including .30” might mean anything less than .40 in truth.

Why is that nuts? 

4 hours ago, smungung said:

This is what I figured and was looking for. I was thinking about contacting them myself but this answers it. I think most would consider a 7.62 more or less a .30 cal

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, gnttn said:

Why is that nuts? 

9mm measures .355 in diameter thus bigger than their rule of  .30 caliber or smaller

Edited by JR8899

20 hours ago, JR8899 said:

7.62/.308 is considered "30 caliber".