IGNORED

Burying a Skull

I can understand the satisfaction of doing it YOURSELF.....

and I have thought about putting a few skulls in my mother’s vegetable garden lol the dirt is rich and full of worms..

but when my butcher said he could do it for $150...

and that the skull gets taken to the ny museum of natural history gets registered by them and the bugs get to eat I figured it’s a no brainer 

they are in white house station off rt.22

EBE90AD4-6852-49D3-9DA7-DA303E99BCCA.jpeg

1AC177CE-DFBB-4D94-BEDA-F9D4901B0EED.jpeg

AFB6FB6C-3365-4108-83A3-EAF8F667ABCD.png

54 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

I can't tell you how many times I've buried a skull lazily in the fall, dug it up in August/September, hosed it off, put it in the sun and/or bleached it a little and have had it come out beautiful.

You've only hunted 2 seasons and you can't say how many times you burried a skull?  And dug it up August/September.

That would be one time.  The skulls from your first season.

SMH

3 hours ago, Monster Marine said:

and I have thought about putting a few skulls in my mother’s vegetable garden lol the dirt is rich and full of worms..

and that the skull gets taken to the ny museum of natural history gets registered by them and the bugs get to eat I figured it’s a no brainer 

Believe it or not Roche was actually the butcher I used! lol but he told me he doesn’t deal with doe skulls, only bucks, so I had to resort to DIY tactics. 

6 hours ago, nickmarch said:

You've only hunted 2 seasons and you can't say how many times you burried a skull?  And dug it up August/September.

That would be one time.  The skulls from your first season.

SMH

I have buried probably 8-12 skulls across three winters, but I actually have a life and I don't really hang onto does as trophies so I don't really count. No. I usually give the doe skulls to my nephews. They can have however many they want.  The first skull I ever buried was from a deer that a friend let me butcher, so I could learn how to do it (I actually have friends, Nick, as opposed to  driving people away with drivel like you do).  I buried it to learn and to teach myself, to find out how long it'd take to rot. Then when I began killing deer I began burying my own deer's skulls, when I wanted too. Some I dug up too soon. One I boiled too long, weakening the bone structure. I learned. I struggled. I made mistakes. I am secure in my own manhood so I can admit mistakes as opposed to being a wanker who splits hairs on a hunting site.  I am trying to do better as a hunter each year. Dealing with skulls is part of that. Do you have a problem with that? 

What's your problem? Are you the owner of the truth and do you get off putting others down, limiting who hunts, how they enjoy themsleves, and what they write to other posters on this site? Who the hell are you to know enough about my life to tell me when and what I bury, you little suzie Q. Before you criticize, know what you're talking about and stop being a douche bag. I know it's hard.  Go bait some turkeys and spout your nonsense interpretations of NJ law. Nickmarch you are a fool and a buzzkill. It's clear that most everyone on this site, even those who agree with you politically, know you as a douche bag. 

Edited by JFC1

4 minutes ago, Herd Buck said:

$150 isn’t free when you’re talking about 4-6 euros a year, and if you have the time or patience to do it yourself either Bushden method or burying them then why not?

I choose to save a few dollars and do it myself when I can.

Do three skulls yourself and you couldsave enough to  buy a new gun  or at the least 1 BOX OF AMMO

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

9 hours ago, Monster Marine said:

i use that butcher as well. i didnt know they offer that. looks good. ill have them do my next one. 

3 hours ago, Kype said:

i use that butcher as well. i didnt know they offer that. looks good. ill have them do my next one. 

I will do it for 1/3 the price plus a 6 pack of beer and drink the 6 pack with you. and when the 6 pack is gone I buy the next six pack.

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

9 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

oh it's about deer.. .never mind

Not really, here is one field to table 48 hrs :lol: Clean and bleached

zzzzzzzyy.JPG

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I dug up my doe skull today (buried first week of December) and it still had a bunch of hair and a good portion of what I’m guessing is the tongue (all slimy and mostly gone so hard to tell). Some other minimal matter around the outside of the skull and a little more inside of ear and eye canals.

I scraped off the hair very easily, cut away the “tongue” since it was the biggest and most intact part, and hosed the rest off as much as I could (don’t have a power washer so I just used the best setting I could on the hose).

There was still a tiny bit of residual stuff caked onto the bone here and there, so I decided to securely hang it in a tree with zip ties, covered in a plastic bag that I poked some holes in so the flies can access easily.

Hoping/guessing they’ll finish it off within 2 or 3 weeks. Does that sound good to you guys or should I have done something different?

Also, a small piece of the nose cracked off (wow, that area is delicate!). I was able to wedge it back into place pretty good and it feels relatively snug, but I was wondering should I use super glue or something to make sure it’s permanently secured?

Edited by alabjr