IGNORED

Striper fishing in the surf - Newbie

M&M

I am new to striper fishing and will be spending more time at the beach this year.   Can someone point me in the right direction for setting up for these fish?   Line Test, Rigs, Bait Types, etc.?   I plan on going the trial and error route and have been doing some on-line research but could use a few tips on setups.   Thanks!

M

Thanks Buck154.   I will research the setup as well as reading the water.  Read quite a bit about it last night but want to see if I can locate the same while at the beach.  Googling hi/lo rig right now.  lol

I just got an email from NJ DFW a few days ago - they are going to have a virtual "Surf Fishing webinar" this Friday night. Sounds like something you will be interested in. I actually might watch this, too - I like surf fishing, but have only done it a few times and don't know what I'm doing :) This sounds like something good for newbies:

---

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/njoutdoors.htm

May 21, 6:300 p.m.

Surf Fishing Basics to Advanced
Join Division of Fish and Wildlife's surf fishing enthusiast Ryan Szelc as he discusses surf fishing tackle, species to target and how to read the beach.

Cost: FREE

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3957265908258335500

Where do you plan on fishing?

Soak bait and you should have some success, reading the water will be helpful. There are alot of YT videos that show you what to look for. 

There are great videos on reading the surf and where to fish by “richtroxler” on youtube.  Scout areas at low tide.  I prefer to fish 2hrs +/- high tide.  Watch for birds.  Match what fish are eating.  If you find structure, you should have fish on it.  Most bass are caught much closer to the shore than you think, no need cast a mile!  Fish the whitewater