IGNORED

Gun Dog Trainers

JDubbs

Hi all,

I was was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for a Gun Dog trainer for upland bird hunting. I have an American Field Lab that I'm hoping to get trained later this summer. She's currently 21 weeks and is from a hunting line. Any recommendations would be helpful, I'm in Northern NJ but not concerned about traveling. Thank you in advance.

J Dubbs-

After some 40 plus years working with hunting dogs, while the method on which they produce game may be different,(pointing or flushing) the basics are the same.  With a well bred pup most of the work is not in the bird fields but in short sessions at home teaching your pup basic obedience, teaching the puppy the basics, to come when called, to stay, retrieving, down , kennel etc.  teaching directional whistle commands,( to come, to turn and to hup).

Exposure to birds is key but most be done correctly matching what it is you want in a finished gun dog. For example when the dog produces the bird do you want your dog to hup when the bird takes wing?  Take your time and look for a trainer that specifically trains flushing dogs. There is a retriever club in NY that maybe able to provide you with names of such trainers.

Good luck with your pup hope you enjoy many years with your pup!

These aren't Dan's " FLDBRED " dogs or video but I was looking for something that does compare , actually some of his pups exceed the videos ! I've hunted with his dogs for years and I can tell you they will rip their hearts out for him . We would go to to areas that were non stocking days and his pups would ALWAYS find birds ! He trained my first Lab, and that dog wound up being a once in a lifetime companion. Sorry Dan...but I had to ! lol 

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege