Ria first impressions

vdep217

I bought the same gun last year. Put night sights on it. Shoots very well. It is stiff and the slide stop is rough to get back in but eventually it will break in. Have to use 180 gr as a minimum. I didn't know and tried 170's and the action wouldn't cycle. Wish I had found one with a rail.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Oakland Steve said:

I bought the same gun last year. Put night sights on it. Shoots very well. It is stiff and the slide stop is rough to get back in but eventually it will break in. Have to use 180 gr as a minimum. I didn't know and tried 170's and the action wouldn't cycle. Wish I had found one with a rail.

I reload so I will work up a load.  I made 155s with 8.7 cfe pistol to test we will see.

I'm just starting to reload. I tried these with 180gr hornady's and just can't get the crimp right. I moved in March so everything is still in boxes but I have to get the garage sorted out and get back at it.

1 minute ago, Oakland Steve said:

I'm just starting to reload. I tried these with 180gr hornady's and just can't get the crimp right. I moved in March so everything is still in boxes but I have to get the garage sorted out and get back at it.

You want to crimp just enough to hold the bullet in place.  You may have to go a little tighter to not catch the feed ramp.  It's not a revolver where you get some pressure from the crimp.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 12:57 PM, Oakland Steve said:

Thanks. I thought I was easing on it just so the bullet was firm in place but still had issues trying to chamber them. It will be a process for me to figure it out.

Update.  Shot it today.  My loads 155 grain flat point over 8.7 grains cfe pistol ran flawless and I'd def a shooter.  Crisp trigger break with the weight of the gun recoil is very manageable group is at 15 yrds

20210517_134204.jpg

Edited by vdep217

20 minutes ago, Oakland Steve said:

Good news and glad it's cycling with the 155 gr bullets. Must be a pretty hot load. That's great shooting from 15 yards.

Recipie for 155 flat point is 8.2to 9.2 cfe pistol I'm at the upper end of it at 8.7 but not near max.  Running about 1300 to 1340 fps

11 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Does it have a longer slide?  Or are my eyes failing me again?

Yes it is long slide.  When we get to the range you are more than welcomed to shoot I think you may like it enough to get one.  Plus in 10mm it's a great hunting caliber handgun wise

17 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Yes it is long slide.  When we get to the range you are more than welcomed to shoot I think you may like it enough to get one.  Plus in 10mm it's a great hunting caliber handgun wise

I have one of these in .45 ACP which I could shoot all day:  https://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-target-ls-2

I do like the 1911 with a long slide as a range gun.  Tack drivers.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.  I've put 400 rounds down the pipe no issues what so ever.  Seems the hs 6 load is slightly better than cfe.  But as stated it has gotten easier to clean and break down.  Waiting on 180 grain heads to work some loads up with 180s