Semi auto pistol question

I've shot them but have never owned a semi auto. I'm looking for a 9mm, range use and home defense. I'll do the research but nothing is better than first hand knowledge. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

Posted (edited)

H&K VP9 and CZ P10 pistols are really nice.  The S&W and Sig pistols are as well.  Glocks are not for me.  Feels like you're holding a brick in your hand.  Handle angle is bad, trigger is bad, sights are bad.  If you buy a $500 glock, you'll immediately want to spend $500 on parts to make it a decent shooter.  

Go to a good range like the Heritage Guild,  RTSP or Gun for Hire and shoot a bunch.  See what feels best to you

Edited by not on the rug

I bought my first at the beginning of this year. Did alot of research, was looking to buy a Glock 19, S&W M&P, or a Sig Sauer P320. I ended up getting a Canik TP9 SF Elite. Out of all them It just felt the best in my hand and has a really good trigger.  After looking at the Canik in the store,  I went home and did some research on it and all reviews were good for them so thats what I got. I didn't like the factory sights that came with it so I put night fision sights on it and its great now.20210313_153833.thumb.jpg.1d84673149bb9c1ecd23e5e24b097914.jpg

5 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

H&K VP9 and CZ P10 pistols are really nice.  The S&W and Sig pistols are as well.  Glocks are not for me.  Feels like you're holding a brick in your hand.  Handle angle is bad, trigger is bad, sights are bad.  If you buy a $500 glock, you'll immediately want to spend $500 on parts to make it a decent shooter.  

Go to a good range like the Heritage Guild,  RTSP or Gun for Hire and shoot a bunch.  See what feels best to you

that's so untrue of Glock.....they are of a simple yet proven design....very accurate, great in the hand, trigger you must take the slack out then squeeze, sights are very good, of course with any gun you can upgrade ......worst gun for me (it's a well made gun) was the H&K USP full size, this was our duty gun for many years....It was big, bulky and the trigger sucked, cause it was a trigger that our department wanted and H&K used it, it had a long, heavy squeeze 

25 minutes ago, BHC said:

that's so untrue of Glock.....they are of a simple yet proven design....very accurate, great in the hand, trigger you must take the slack out then squeeze, sights are very good, of course with any gun you can upgrade ......worst gun for me (it's a well made gun) was the H&K USP full size, this was our duty gun for many years....It was big, bulky and the trigger sucked, cause it was a trigger that our department wanted and H&K used it, it had a long, heavy squeeze 

It's definitely worth shooting a lot of different guns to see what you like. 

Most "glock people" are shooting glocks with upgraded sights (poly sights aren't the best idea) and upgraded triggers (stock trigger feel is not the best).  The handle angle is very square, hence the weird wrist angle you have to use to shoot them.  Most guys who I know who carry glocks as their duty weapons hate them.  

The "reliability" thing is true...glocks are reliable.  But not any more so than the S&W, H&K or CZ.  There's a reason these other guns are used all over the world for Law Enforcement and Military purposes too.  

Again, glocks aren't for me.  I've shot a few nice ones, but they were all customized and upgraded nicely.  Out of the box they're just a simple and plain gun.  Not bad...but not really great either

My advise is shoot as many as you can either friends or rental.  What I'm comfortable with or rug you may not be.  Glock reliable I'm not a fan but that's me.  Springfield xdm.  Smith and wesson m&p.  I will tell you most people shoot a heavier gun better easier to manage recoil and stay on target.  Home defense and target shooting get a full size gun will be more enjoyable to shoot if you have larger hands. 

For new shooters I usually recommend a revolver as a home defense gun.  Under stress you don't have to worry about a fail to fire no bang pull trigger again.  With an auto you need to drop mag rack reseat mag.  Revolver is just simpler.  With that said some just can't get comfortable with a wheel gun.

As for cleaning all listed above come apart fairly easily and almost the same fashion 

Well 24 years as a officer, 12 years as range instructor and the majority of officers off duty firearms are glock, sights aren't poor, square angle? I have no idea where you get that from....most people don't know to have a handshake type grip flush with the tang on a semi auto handgun, and solid firm hard grip can lead to jams, 

6 minutes ago, BHC said:

Well 24 years as a officer, 12 years as range instructor and the majority of officers off duty firearms are glock, sights aren't poor, square angle? I have no idea where you get that from....most people don't know to have a handshake type grip flush with the tang on a semi auto handgun, and solid firm hard grip can lead to jams, 

I'm not knocking your experience with firearms or glocks.  They're just not for me and I listed the reasons why. I don't like poly sights.   I don't like their triggers and I don't like the grip angle.  

Hold a glock 17/19 and then hold a P10, VP9, M&P or P320.  To me, everything about the glock feels awkward and clunky while the others feel comfortable and refined.  Just my opinion.  

I shoot glocks and have a bunch 

glock 19 is my favorite it came with trigicon sights which I love. I’m a Glock armorer firearm instructor and carry a Glock at work.

I own other pistols mostly for looks but you can’t beat the reliability and accuracy of a Glock out of the box.

for a bit more money look at shadow systems 9mm they’re bad ass and built off a Glock frame 

Posted (edited)

You opened a large can of worms by asking opinions on this topic. Bottom line if you’ve never shot or haven’t shot much your not going to know what you like. I grew up on Sig and they will always be a favorite, but glock is a good gun. A little tough to get used to if you have shot other guns. But if you’re new to shooting you will become familiar with it very quickly. This is true for any gun maker.  And as stated before take up the slack and hit that wall before pressing this is true for any trigger press IMO. Even this is debated in shooting circles now. But it’s all about what will work for you efficiently. And more importantly SAFELY. 

Edited by blackpowder