IGNORED

Nice Day to Smoke Some Trout

archer36

Looks good.  I’m hoping to do some for the first time this weekend.  Do you just score them and then throw em in like chicken wings almost for like 2 hours on a higher temp?  From what I’ve read that will work.  But figured I’d get your opinion.  Haven’t smoked trout myself yet.

7 minutes ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

Looks good.  I’m hoping to do some for the first time this weekend.  Do you just score them and then throw em in like chicken wings almost for like 2 hours on a higher temp?  From what I’ve read that will work.  But figured I’d get your opinion.  Haven’t smoked trout myself yet.

Brined them in Salt and Sugar overnight. Smoked at 175 degrees for about 3 hours. The size will determine how long you need to smoke. 

Didn't score them. Those are grill grate marks. 

Edited by archer36

Just now, archer36 said:

Brined them in Salt and Sugar overnight. Smoked at 175 degrees for about 3 hours. The size will determine how long you need to smoke. 

Okay.  All about the same size close to the ones you did I’d say.  The average stocked trout.  I’m going to defrost em today and get them in a brine.

3 minutes ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

Okay.  All about the same size close to the ones you did I’d say.  The average stocked trout.  I’m going to defrost em today and get them in a brine.

I would rather use fresh, unfrozen Trout. The meat texture will be better.  Also, you do not need to "score" them. 

Edited by archer36

1 minute ago, archer36 said:

I would rather use fresh, unfrozen Trout. The meat texture will be better. 

Unfortunately that’s all I have from the opener a month back.  I’ll have to make it work.  They are frozen in a salt water solution(kinda like a brine).  If I remember I’ll post it up here and let you know how it came out.

1 minute ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

Unfortunately that’s all I have from the opener a month back.  I’ll have to make it work.  They are frozen in a salt water solution(kinda like a brine).  If I remember I’ll post it up here and let you know how it came out.

It will work. 

Awesome. I had my first smoked trout with my kids, from what they caught.

Followed meat eaters recipe.  My only issue was too much salt.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

• Bucksnbows changed the title to Nice Day to Smoke Some Trout
1 hour ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

Just defrost that in your refrigerator for a day or two and then right on the smoker. With smoked fish, the brine is critical IMO. They can be brined overnight or for several days, your call.