oil burner to natural gas conversion

my town just installed gaslines in the road. this is strictly out of curiosity because im happy with filling my oil tank 2 times a year. 

so what would it cost to remove my oil tank and boiler to install a furance and hot water heater?

only plus side i see would be to install a standby generator and cook on a real stove, not electric. 

13 minutes ago, Kype said:

my town just installed gaslines in the road. this is strictly out of curiosity because im happy with filling my oil tank 2 times a year. 

so what would it cost to remove my oil tank and boiler to install a furance and hot water heater?

only plus side i see would be to install a standby generator and cook on a real stove, not electric. 

https://bloomsburyborough.com

8 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

How old is your boiler? Some offer conversion kits from oil to gas. Saves quite a bit of money if you can

brand new. 2019. however the oil tank is old 

28 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

So is there issue with your oil tank is it leaking?

no.nothing is wrong. im just  curious about the conversion. and maybe one day getting a real stove and a real back up generator. 

like i said in my first post im fine filling my oil tank only 2 times a year. 

1 hour ago, Kype said:

There is one source of energy never once interrupted in my life time. Natural gas. 

38 minutes ago, Kype said:

no.nothing is wrong. im just  curious about the conversion. and maybe one day getting a real stove and a real back up generator. 

like i said in my first post im fine filling my oil tank only 2 times a year. 

There are all kinds of rebates for switching to natural gas to convert your oil burner to gas yor probly looking at 7 grand.  A gas boiler is roughly 3000 plus instalation hot water heater 7to800.  To run gas from road to house is free.  Once to house depending how much pipe I needed 22ft I think was 800 or so

When they installed gas lines in our town they gave us either a 3 or 6 month window to convert and if we did they would run the line from the street to the house for free.

We jumped at the chance....... I never liked paying the huge oil bill up front..... like paying for what I use and the gas stove.

I switched 3 yrs ago and never looked back.  So far I've saved a ton of money but I already had gas into the house.  If nothing more, run the pipe to the house and cap it if you don't want to convert.  At least it will be there if you decide later.  You can also use it for a gas stove in the meantime.  Get rid of the oil tank too.  If you sell, you can bet that will be a condition of the sale.  Plus the EPA will demand it at some point in the future. 

Posted (edited)

We switched about 7 years ago and saved 60% over oil.  We took advantage of a zero interest government loan at the time that we paid back in 4 years.  We removed the in-ground oil tank which you will have to do to sell your house (at least in my town), got rid of the oil burner, and replaced our central air with a more modern unit while also greatly increasing our insulation and reducing air drafts.  Best move we have made so far in 23 years in our home.  In that time, we have never run out of oil, never had to stand in the freezing cold with a 5 gallon diesel tank, and haven't felt a single draft or heard the oil burner kick on and off all day and night.   

Edited by Bucksnbows

If you can make the change, do it.  We switched in 2008 and much better off, had an older oil burner and 1,000 gallon tank that was buried but covered by an overhang between the house and garage.  Luckily there were no issues when the tank was drained and inspected - just filled it with rock and cemented over the top.  We have a certificate that it passed inspection from the town.  Back then oil prices kept going up and I had to keep telling the oil company not to fill the tank in the Spring - and always had to tell the driver not to put in more than a few hundred gallons at a time.  PSE&G ran the gas line to the house back in the late 90's for free so we could switch from hot water being heated by the tankless water heater on the oil burner to a gas water heater.  Then switched from electric stove to gas, then the oil burner to gas and finally electric clothes dryer to gas.  The old oil burner sounded like a plane getting ready for take off when it fired up - now all we hear is a "wooosh" if I'm in the basement.  Back then it cost around $6k in total and have definitely broke even and crossed into the plus side of paying for natural gas vs. oil.  

47 minutes ago, optowalt said:

I switched 3 yrs ago and never looked back.  So far I've saved a ton of money but I already had gas into the house.  If nothing more, run the pipe to the house and cap it if you don't want to convert.  At least it will be there if you decide later.  You can also use it for a gas stove in the meantime.  Get rid of the oil tank too.  If you sell, you can bet that will be a condition of the sale.  Plus the EPA will demand it at some point in the future. 

You just have to be careful with running a gas line and not using it right away.  Our gas company bored the line in for free so long as we hooked up within something like 6 months, and if we didn't, they would bill us something crazy like $7,000.  We made the switch in days, but you do need to be mindful of those issues. 

There are other things folks need to know.  Our neighbors waited to make the switch and our town repaved our road while they were vacillating.  Now they cannot bring in a new gas line for 5 years (they have 3 years left of those 5).  The town doesn't want their brand new pavement buggered up by new gas lines.     

I had a new gas heater installed this year and it cost me about $3K-$4k.  More efficient than the older one, and it does a better job heating the house.  I installed a tankless hot water heater a few years ago.  The heater cost me about $1K and the labor was probably around the same amount.  This saved me a couple of bucks a month because there is no tank to constantly heat.

Also, if you are rich or have some money burning a hole in your pocket, you can get a whole house gas generator installed.  I did this a few years ago and it was the best decision I've made in a long time.  Installation for a 14Kw natural gas generator with all of the electrical and such was about $11K.  Last year we lost power for 52 hours.  I didn't have to worry about a thing.  It kicks on after a minute and runs.  I didn't have to worry about getting gasoline or waiting in gasoline lines only to find out the station ran out of gas (remember hurricane Sandy?).  The generator costs $1/hr. to run at last year's natural gas prices.  So if you get natural gas, you have some pretty good options.